Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 21st, 2014 06:00

ViPR CAS: how to import a VPool (Pool-ID) from Centera?

when it Comes to migrate legacy data from Centera to ViPR, do we Need the same Pool-ID on ViPR?

If yes, how can i generate the Pool-ID on ViPR CAS? eg: Import poolprofile Setup?

If no, is the CA affected?

Thanks

Ralf

110 Posts

October 27th, 2014 13:00

Ralf,

Sorry for the late response.  When using the CAS SDK to migrate data into ViPR CAS from Centera, all of the CAs should remain the same.  To accomplish this, you must use the raw read/write methods of the CAS SDK.  There is a mapping engine built in to ViPR that will map your existing CAs to the ViPR-assigned CAs in the new pool.  In fact, there is even a migration tool that you can use to make the process easier.

At the end of the migration, all of your content should be accessible by their previous CAs, using your ViPR/ECS CAS profile.  If this is not the case, please let us know and we will help you figure out what went wrong.

- Stu

208 Posts

October 27th, 2014 14:00

Hi Ralf -

To follow up to Stu's point, it appears that ViPR-CAS ignores the pool id metadata that is encoded in imported clips. Whatever tenant/subtenant the clips are written to is where they will live; virtual pool enforcement goes away.

Stu / Paul: if you could confirm this specific point that would be helpful to the Centera old-timers in the crowd

Best Regards,

Mike Horgan

409 Posts

October 28th, 2014 01:00

Hi Mike, yes unlike the Centera, ViPR-CAS ignores the pool id metadata when importing clips.

I would however recommend that you consider making sure that the pool id matches just to make sure those in support know where the clip came from or at least adopt a sensible naming scheme for it.

409 Posts

October 28th, 2014 02:00

Ralf

You can create multiple CAS pools in ViPR already.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 28th, 2014 02:00

Thanks a lot so far!

anyone is able to comment on the roadmap of ViPR CAS: will there be enhancements regarding support of multiple CAS Virtual Pools? Many Customers would not be happy to consolidate into one Pool ;-(. That might be a showstopper for replacing Centera with ViPR.

cheers

Ralf

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 28th, 2014 04:00

i see.

Thus, we have to migrate pool by pool in serial or set up multiple vipr-sync instances?

there might be issues with retention management and generate compliant migration reports, as well.

what's about setting up a workshop "C2V". We may see quite a few projects in the near future.

Thanks

Ralf

409 Posts

October 28th, 2014 05:00

I think this depends on the toolset you are using to do the audit and then the migration.

I'm not sure what PS are going to use as their preferred migration toolset(s), I'll take guidance from them

No Events found!