Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 13th, 2012 12:00

ESXi 5.1 on a PowerEdge T620 with PERC H710P?

My company just purchased a T620 with a PERC H710P adapter and 8 SAS drives, and I've been tasked with installing the latest available ESXi on it.

I found a Dell download link for ESXi 5.1, but the web page says:

This ISO image should be used only to recover/reinstall the ESXi image to SD Card/USB Key on Dell Platforms

I want to install directly onto a bootable volume on the RAID array.  Is this possible?  If so, what is the proper ISO to download, and where can I find this?

Also, the latest PERC H710P controller documentation indicates that ESXi 4.2 and ESXi 5.0 are suported, but ESXi 5.1 is not mentioned.  Do you know if ESXi 5.1 is suported with this controller?

I haven't even powered up the new T620 server yet.  I don't intend to use iDRAC or any KVM -- just going directly from the server's own console.  I've never worked with Dell's LifeCycle Controller or other embedded management tools, so any advice or suggestions for a newbie like me are greatly apreciated.

Thank you,

- Michael (Mike4Online)

December 21st, 2012 02:00

The iso that is called this VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.1.0-799733.x86_64-Dell_Customized_RecoveryCD_A00.iso is what you use to install the server you can install it on any supported medium.

The H710P is not on the list of supported adapter on vmware hcl list nor is the system T620 but that does not mean that it will not work.

Vmwares HCL list often takes some time before it gets updated with new server systems.

Best regards Boris

6 Posts

January 1st, 2013 14:00

hi ,

dell poweredge t620 server is supported for vmware esxi 5.1 . use the below link and select OS vmware 5.1

www.dell.com/.../poweredge-t620

the dell recovery image is the one you should be installing on the server as this image has got the dell drivers for the dell hardware on the server .

January 2nd, 2013 10:00

The service tag for my PowerEdge T620 -- 3QKFZV1 -- takes me to a Downloads and Drivers page that does not offer VMware 5.1.  But the URL you provided does have VMware 5.1.  

Thanks Sydney.

- Michael

No Events found!