Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 12th, 2007 21:00

AVG Free + Spybot Search and Destroy = Good combination?

I've been running AVG Free Anti-Virus and Spybot Search and Destroy and it is working beautifully. They tend to need to be updated a lot, but if it keeps my computer clean of viruses and malware, it's fine by me. No problems with the two whatsoever. Anyone else have the same combination?

503 Posts

I do have windows defender, It is also protecting my computer as well.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

AVG free antivirus is a good choice for resident anti-virus, with on-demand scanner.

as for spybot, you didn't indicate which version you're running, whether you use it only as an on-demand scanner, or whether you're using its TeaTimer resident feature.

i'm  assuming you're running 1.4, as an on-demand scanner only.   if that's your only anti-malware program, it's really not enough... in fact, it's rather "archaic" at this point.
The reason why i'm assuming v 1.4 is that it's the last full/official release.   And unfortunately, its TeaTimer has a "buggy" display :smileysad:

version 1.5 has a preliminary (BETA) release, which has fixed the TeaTimer display glitch.   but as cited, this is a BETA (i.e., undergoing testing) version, so it should only be tried/used by people who are willing to be "guinea pigs".

by the way, TeaTimer offers resident anti-malware protection, which is necessary in addition to an on-demand scanner [and in addition to a resident anti-virus].   If you don't want to "play" with the BETA, and have no other resident anti-malware scanner, you should consider windows defender.

503 Posts

Yes, I'm running version 1.4.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

Here's some suggestions/advice I just copied from one of my other threads:

in terms of free anti-MALWARE:

If we consider two well-respected "short" lists:

and

(steps 7 and 9)

to see what they share in common...

--- and limiting the recommendations I cite below to free products, so as not to be accused of "pushing" anything paid ---

we note that BOTH of these sites recommend the following FREE products:

Ad-Aware SE 
[ Note/Update:  The SE  product is being phased-out, in favor of a newer 2007 version. 
The 2007 product, being new, is subject to further testing and evaluation.  
Be advised that most preliminary reports are *NOT* favorable!!
2007 will run on Windows NT/2000/XP/2003, but is *NOT* yet Vista-compatible ]

Windows Defender  [Windows XP Service Pack 2, or Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1;
and I believe it's automatically included as part of Vista]

SuperAntiSpyware [ Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, Vista, 2003 and XP Home/Pro]

AVG AntiSpyware (formerly EWIDO; the ON-DEMAND scanner is fully free)
[Windows XP Home/Pro with SP2, or Windows 2000 SP4 with Security Rollup Pack]

(and SpyBot Search & Destroy [Windows 98 and later] --- an "in addition" comment at Spyware Warrior, where technically it is classified as "useful"

Notes:  Windows Defender offers resident [continually running in real-time] protection.
You should run only one resident anti-malware program (in addition to your resident anti-virus program) --- but feel free to download and use as many anti-malware SCANNERS as you wish.

==============

To simplify matters:   If I had to choose a minimal  anti-malware configuration from the above list, my personal picks would be Windows Defender [as my resident scanner... and it also offers an on-demand scanner] together with SuperAntiSpyware as a "complimentary" on-demand scanner [using only one anti-malware scanner is not enough --- you should use at least two... and all of the above are compatible together, if you so wish].

In addition to these, I'm also a big fan of --- and strongly recommend --- WinPatrol [Windows 98 thru Windows Vista]:

www.WinPatrol.com

503 Posts

July 12th, 2007 22:00

Should I just stick with AVG and Spybot but add Winpatrol? You think that'll be alright? I was planning on doing that

503 Posts

I've heard that Nod32 and AVG are amazing together. What do you think?

503 Posts

Even though you have to pay for it...

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

July 13th, 2007 00:00

concerning NOD32 and AVG :    If you're talking about RESIDENT (continually-running in real-time) anti-viruses, you should be using only one such resident a-v at any given time.   using more than one generally slows down your system, and/or can cause conflicts.

[if they allow you to disable the resident-protection aspect, it would be okay to choose one company's product for resident protection, and use the other company's (in a non-resident capacity) for an on-demand scanner]

-------------

i'd certainly add winpatrol.   great little program.   does a lot, yet uses minimal resources.  
between windows defender (for resident anti-malware protection), winpatrol, and spybot (as an on-demand scanner), you'd have a reasonable group of protection. 
but, as I mentioned earlier, i personally much prefer superantispyware to spybot... other people may suggest their "favorite"... to each his/her own

503 Posts

July 13th, 2007 00:00

Ah. Thank you very much.
No Events found!