Start a Conversation

Unsolved

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

August 2nd, 2019 13:00

About Security Intelligence Updates for Microsoft Defender

Microsoft changed the name from Definition Update for Windows Defender Antivirus to Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus.

Is it a permanent change or a one-time change? We don't know, because Microsoft did not announce the change. The most likely scenario is that it is a permanent change.

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/07/31/about-security-intelligence-updates-for-microsoft-defender/

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 2nd, 2019 21:00

Must have been a slow day in Redmond, so somebody with nothing better to do...

5.8K Posts

August 2nd, 2019 23:00

On my Windows 10 Pro, I cannot find anything called "Windows Defender", or "Microsoft Defender", or indeed anything including "Defender" in the file name. This is not new. I cannot find any files containing "Intelligence updates". I do however delay my monthly patches by about 4 weeks,so this might change shortly.

I believe I do have Windows Defender (or equivalent) for Windows 10 installed, but it appears to be called "Windows Security". It has no icon in the notification tray, and WinPatrol Plus does not have it in my startup list. I can open it through Start>Settings>Update&Security. Real-time protection is enabled. Belarc Advisor tells me I have Windows Defender version 4.18.19074 installed, with up-to-date definitions as of today.

Microsoft really needs to stop renaming its security programs.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 3rd, 2019 12:00

My Inspiron laptop running Win 10Pro, 64-bit, v1903, has a shield icon on the taskbar in the right corner for Windows Defender or whatever they call it now. Are you sure the icon isn't just hidden on yours? It's constantly nagging me with a yellow ! on the shield because it wants me to run a scan, because I've turned off submission of virus info to MS, etc., etc.

Was away for a few days, but the lappy installed a "Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus" when I booted it last night. The update is listed on the Windows Update screen in the appropriate sub-topic.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 4th, 2019 13:00

FWIW, my Win 7Pro 32-bit Dell desktop got a Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2310138 (Version 1.299.1250.0) today. So they've changed the name for MSE updates too...

No Events found!