Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

December 4th, 2006 03:00

Antivirus that uses the least memory resources

i want some opinions from other ppl who use antivirus i currently dont use one cause i do online scans at microsoft windows live one care every month but im lookin into installin somethin lil that doesnt take up much system resources i do have 1gb of ram but theres not point of havin all that extra stuff if i dont use it just need antvirus anyone suggest avg antivirus?

1.2K Posts

December 4th, 2006 03:00

My personal favorite is Avast.  It is not a resource hog, unlike Norton,  and generally has good reviews.  Plus, the free price is right.  Some people shy away from free AV utilities, thinking that you get what you pay for.  That is not necessarily the case.

I see you mentioned AVG. Here is a recent review of AVG and Avast: AVG & Avast Review

Avast! Home Edition (antivirus)

AVG Antivirus (antivirus)

183 Posts

December 4th, 2006 09:00

The AVG is a great product. I have used the free version with no complaints.

However, I like NOD32 from ESET as it it compact, fast, and has not yet failed me on 6 home PC's. Most of the PC's are being used by kids and their age range is 18-22. So the use is very varied.

http://www.eset.com/index.php you can try for free or purchase. install and removal is very rapid. At a minimum I would visit the ESET web site and look at their anti-virus information.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

December 4th, 2006 13:00

I second the motion for Avast or AVG...not familiar with NOD32. I use Avast in conjunction with Zone Alarm free with good results, and it has updates available just about everyday.

99 Posts

December 5th, 2006 00:00

I heard that Kaspersky and Bit Defender are the two best anti-virus programs out there and that neither uses up a lot of system resources.  I'm not sure about the quality of their scans though.  I heard that they don;t scan all the files and that would no doubt tbe an issue.  Maybe others with more knowledge about these 2 av programs could share their thoughts on them.

86 Posts

December 5th, 2006 12:00

I have been using Kaspersky for quite a few years now and have nothing but praise for it.It is very light on your system and as far as scanning it does scan every file in a manual search but scheduled scans can be set with ichecker and iswift that scan only critical files and files that have been changed since the last scan. F-Secure is also a very light and highly reliable but i found it to be not as user friendly as i was always getting prompts for one thing or the other but i guess that's not a bad thing but i found Kaspersky to be a lot more user friendly and both have a free 30 day trial at their respective web sites.But the main thing that convinced me to try those 2 was being a daily visitor to this board for the last year i have yet to see any one using either of them looking for virus or spyware removal help.But that is just me i may have missed a posting somewhere along the way.I'm sure there are some who have seen some.

Message Edited by trailrated1 on 12-05-200608:38 AM

2.5K Posts

December 5th, 2006 14:00

My opinion - I have used IBM AV until they sold their products to Symantec in the late 1990s and have used Symantec/Norton since then.  Although I have been attacked a few time (lesss than a hand full of times), none have been successful.  I also use Windows Defender, I did at one time use Spybot and Ad-Aware, but found them useless.  I never used any software firewall, but there is a limited SPI firewall in my router (Linksys WRT300N).  I have run some perfomance/timing tests and contrary to much stated opinion, have not found Symantec used excessive resources.  

8.8K Posts

December 5th, 2006 16:00

Actually, most people don't realize that most routers work as good or better than a firewall.

Since the ip of the router and the ip of your system are not the same, they really never get past your router. I too don't run a firewall but that is only because this router I have hooked up protects me.

If you aren't running a router you better be running a firewall.

zb1

Message Edited by zbestwun2001 on 12-05-200610:28 AM

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

December 6th, 2006 00:00

I am very satisfied with the protection afforded by my router's firewall also. However my understanding is that hardware firewalls only block incoming threats, and do not notify you when an app on your PC is attempting to access the internet. At least my Linksys router does not.

I elected to keep my ZoneAlarm Free firewall. Although it has never detected anything really nasty trying to access the net, I still occasionally see attempts by programs (from my ISP, from MS, and from utilities I am trying out) to "phone home". I take great pleasure in blocking them all! 

A recent example: I was trialling McAfee's SiteAdvisor, and kept getting alerts from ZA that it wanted to access the net. Even when I told ZA to always allow it, I kept getting new alerts. So I went into ZA's Program Control, and found no less than six separate SiteAdvisor programs (SAService.exe, SiteAdv.exe- 4 instances! and SASynch.exe), all wanting to contact McAfee. I figured that was a tad too intrusive, and uninstalled SiteAdvisor. Even then, yet another McAfee app tried to report back on my uninstalling!

Another advantage to a software firewall is that most keep logs of all such attempts, both incoming and outgoing. Useful for troubleshooting when a real nasty gets into your PC.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

December 6th, 2006 11:00

Joe,

Since I don't believe there's any [storage nor updating of a ] site-advisor "threat database" on your PC, it's my understanding that the way site-advisor works is that, when you click on a web-page, site-advisor sends that URL back to McAfee to get the latest "scoop" on that page's current safety/threat status.   If so, that would seem an understandable/legitimate reason to "phone home".   No??

[The alternative... a "static" URL database on one's PC... unless updated at least daily (and we know most people don't)... would seem to be virtually worthless...]

Of course, I have no idea what, if any, "personal" information might be sent-along....

Message Edited by ky331 on 12-06-200609:03 AM

99 Posts

December 6th, 2006 23:00

good to hear the positives about Kaspersky.  I've read that it has some serious compatibility issues with other software such as firewalls.  Is the Kaspersky Internet Security Suite worth it or just the anti-virus/anti-spyware option better? 
Finally, this may sound silly but, won't the AV software's effect on system resources be related to the amount of RAM on the system?  Taking this software (Kaspersky) for example, would it run better on a system that has more than 1 GB of RAM (maybe around 1.5 GB) in comparison to one that has less (say around 512 MB RAM to 768 MB RAM)?  I've heard that it (Kaspersky) takes up a little more than 85 MB of RAM.

183 Posts

December 7th, 2006 10:00

RESOURCE UTILIZATION - sse last chart   - data from ESET web site Why ESET's NOD32?
Technology, not brand names, stops malware.

Compare

Industry tests and data to show the differences in detection, size and speed of NOD32's top competitors. Compare the data against Symantec, McAfee, Kaspersky and Trend. Find out why NOD32 is the Safest, Fastest, Smallest solution.

Best Detection of Known and Evolving Threats
  • Approximately 88% of threats are proactively detected using ThreatSense heuristics. For example, all variants of MyDoom, Netsky, Bagle and Mytob were detected heuristically - before most other vendors even had a signature. Compare to Symantec, McAfee, Trend, and Kaspersky.
  • The leader in Advanced + awards from AV-Comparatives.org.
  • In-the-Wild Virus Detection - ESET is the record holder of 35 VB100% awards collected over the last 7 years. These tests validate the products ability to detect known malware. (source: www.virusbtn.com).

• NOD32 has missed fewer In-the-Wild viruses than any other vendor in VirusBulletin testing, as shown below.

Fastest Performance

With NOD32, it's not necessary to sacrifice speed for detection. Scanning and update processes happen behind the scenes without a perceptible decrease in performance.

• 19MB/sec scanning rate under Windows 2003
  • Three to 34 times faster than the leading brands under Windows XP
  • Keep employees productive by minimizing the impact on their systems

Minimal Resource Utilization

NOD32 conserves resources on disk and in memory, leaving more room for critical applications. It is compact enough to run on modest systems, saving valuable memory without compromising performance or functionality, yet powerful enough to slam the door on malware intrusions. 

• Utilizes approximately 22MB of RAM, one of the smallest packages in the industry
  • Low RAM usage and intelligent caching reduces disk access and memory paging
  • Low 4% performance overhead (source: Canon/ESET testing, August 2006) 

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

December 7th, 2006 11:00

" There are three kinds of lies: Lies, [an adjective the DELL "obscenity" filter wouldn't let through] Lies, and Statistics." -- Benjamin Disraeli 

EDIT:   an obscenity filter that won't allow a direct quote from the 19th-century British statesman and literary figure, the Rt Hon. Benjamin Disraeli, the 1st Earl of Beaconsfield, a two-time Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.

Message Edited by ky331 on 12-08-200601:37 PM

2.5K Posts

Could their be a bit of bias in the prior post?

86 Posts

I personally would not believe any statistics of any product when they are taken directly from said products web site.Statistics taken from any products web site tend to be skewed toward that product.I prefer to get my info from actual users on forums such as this or from the product user forums.

In reply to stan_1936 any program is going to run better on 1.5Gb than 512Mb it mainly depends on what else you have running.I personally run Kis6.0 and haven't had any problems.I just recently upgraded from the a/v - firewall a few weeks ago and i couldn't be happier but that is just my opinion.As far as the actual memory usage i'am not sure but it seems minimal.

Message Edited by trailrated1 on 12-07-200607:53 AM

December 7th, 2006 17:00

You can get unbiased tests from Consumers Reports.  Also checkout Cnet.com.  I personally use McAfee which is OK except when it scans.  The firewall works very well, and sets automatically.  The AV detection is dependably good.  McAfee has a great forum to help solve problems and share facts.  The site advisor gives good advice when using Goggle.  Kapersky is a Russian program and is expensive.  I do not like its interface.
Remember Pearl Harbor!
No Events found!