Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 8th, 2010 07:00

Can't install any antivirus.

I recently uninstalled Security Shield antivirus and tried to install Norton Internet Security.  During installation I got a BSoD "'Bad Pool Header."  Every time I restarted the computer I would get this error about 2 minutes after startup.  I had to start in safe mode, uninstall Norton, and use system restore to get things working again. I then tried to upgrade my Security Shield, and after installing it I lost my Lindsky’s wireless internet connection.  Except for doing weird things to get a page to open, Windows would not recognize the connection.  Obviously, a software problem.   

I then installed Regserve registery cleaner, and it fixed about 1200 errors, but instead of clearing things up, it actually caused more problems.  Now I had no internet connection and Security Shield wouldn't close properly. 

My XPS gen 4  with Windows XP is five years old, so I used Dell Restore to return the software to its original factory installed condition.  Beautiful!  Everything worked fine again, like new — until I tried to install Security Shield again.  Once again it messed up my internet connection, and I was kicked offline.  I was able to use system restore to resolve this. 

I tried to install Norton antivirus again—and again got the “Bad pool header” and was finally able to restore to earlier time. 

Does this sound like a bad hard drive sector?  Everything works great until I try to install antivirus, even after using Dell Restore.

XPS gen 4 

Pentium 4, 3.2 gig

2 gig Ram

143 gig hard drive

Windows XP

Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS

---------------------------

I just restarted and hit F12 and performed a hard drive diagnostic.  It passed.  I don't know how reliable that is, but I'm clueless now. 

Thanks for the replies, guys.  I"m hesitant to install anything else.   I'm sure there's a BIG problem that needs attention, but maybe I'll just end up trying another antivirus like AVG so at least I have something.

1K Posts

January 8th, 2010 08:00

Hi David.

If I were you, I would do my Restore again and forget about Security Shield. See what Web of Trust has to say about that App:

http://www.mywot.com/es/scorecard/pcsecurityshield.com

it souds like a rogue program. Too many complains. Stay with Norton.

Hope it helps.

21 Posts

January 8th, 2010 08:00

Try AVG, it always worked when things went BLAH.  There is a free version to download and if that is not secure enough for you they have an upgrade.  Some people just need to run Microsoft  systems, for business or whatever, AVG is the solution.  My personal choice was to change to Linux.  Don't need antivirus, or malware protection.

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

January 8th, 2010 13:00

David, I agree with iroc9555. Restore again. Use your Norton if you already have it, and perhaps use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here or Here instead of Security Shield. The problem seems to be with Security Shield. I suggest staying away from registry cleaners as well.

No Events found!