Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 7th, 2005 20:00

Comcast free McAfee Virus Scan/Firewall?

Currently, I have the AVG Free Edition for my virus scan and Zone Alarm for my firewall. I have internet service thru Comcast. They are now offering a free McAfee Virus scan and a free McAfee Personal Firewall Plus. Would I be better off changing to this or keeping what I have.

Is this enough protection - or should I actually purchase something. Thank you.

I have a Dell Dimension 4100 with windows ME. I use Firefox, instead of internet explorer as my browser. I also have SpyBot and AdAware. Am I doing enough to protect my computer?

11 Posts

September 7th, 2005 23:00

DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT go near Mcafee. Their Personal Firewall Plus 7 is full of bugs and is NOT compatible with Mozilla. It has the rather bad habit of saying it's enabled (working) when it is NOT. Don't believe me ? Go to Mcafee.com/forums and scroll down to the Personal Firewall Plus 7 forum, see for yourself. MANY unhappy users, I know I was one of them. Mcafee knows all about the problem, yet bans people from asking questions on their forums about it. Spamkiller is an utterly useless product that stops nothing and cannot seem to configure itself to Outlook Express (any version). Mcafee products are rated quite poor for security purposes and are a hassle to use. I suggest keeping your free AVG and using Spywareblaster (free download-majorgeeks.com) and supplementing it with either Lavasoft's Adaware (free from javacool.com) I have also used Trendmicro's PC-Cillin Security Suite with really great no hassle results. Works well with all browsers and runs flawlessly. (Averages $59.95 with good support). Mcafee is a joke ! Lets more in than it keeps out....

130 Posts

September 8th, 2005 12:00

Thank you for the information.  I will stay as is.  I already have adaware - but will get spywareblaster.

11 Posts

September 10th, 2005 16:00

Your very welcome. Spywareblaster is an excellent preventative tool. Once you download, you don't have to do a darn thing. If you get the totally free version though, check for updates and enable them once a week. If you want the auto updates it's only $9.95 a year, and it updates itself automatically. It runs in the background and does'nt interfere with anything. Make sure when you do the install, you click "enable all items". And when updating do the same again, takes 2 seconds..
No Events found!