Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 10th, 2009 08:00

Comodo Continues to Damage Its Reputation

Here again we find another bogus Antispyware program that does nothing but take your money ... with a little help from Comodo
http://msmvps.com/blogs/hostsnews/archive/2009/07/10/1699205.aspx

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

July 10th, 2009 15:00

It's good that we have a couple of other good free firewalls available now that Comodo has proven to be less than the best, at least to me. Outpost and Online Armor appear to do the job adequately and effeciently. Got Outpost on the older computer and OA on the other, and they quietly go about there jobs with few alerts. I would be interested in seeing the lastest comparisons. 

36 Posts

July 13th, 2009 19:00

Hmm, I was going to download Comodo until I saw this post, is it just their spyware app that is bad or does their firewall also have problems?

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

It just gets worse ...

http://hphosts.blogspot.com/2009/07/comodo-watch-your-staff-please-oh-and.html

I could post a lot more links to threads about Comodo's troubles, but will desist. The on-going battle between Comodo and security experts I trust is entertaining (and instructional), but reflects very badly on Comodo, and on its CEO.

I have nothing personal against Comodo; its products served me well for years. In the time since I uninstalled its firewall over a lack of trust in the vendor, the controversy has intensified. I have seen nothing since to tempt me to re-install it.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

farpetrad:

The asterisks in your post indicate you used a word banned by the site filters. You should edit your post to remove them, lest your entire post gets removed.

To answer your question (and assuming you are talking about installing Comodo Internet Security, or CIS) be advised that the installer installs by default, unless you uncheck it, the HopSurf toolbar. This toolbar is unnecessary, and uses the questionable ASK search engine. Many experts regard this as adware (at best).

I have used the CIS firewall (not installing any toolbars or anti-virus during the custom installation process) with absolutely no problems. It is a good software firewall, that rates well at independent test websites. It is, however, a demanding firewall that I would not recommend to novices.

In any event, I no longer recommend any Comodo products, due to my concerns over the ethics of the vendor.

No Events found!