Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

VA

March 27th, 2007 18:00

How to uninstall McAfee 8 Security COMPLETELY

Hello,
I would like to fully, completely, radically uninstall McAfee 8 Security Center from my Vista Home Premium machine in such a way that there are no more traces of it on my system's hard disk nor in the registry.
How should I do this please.

Thank you so much in advance
V.A

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

March 27th, 2007 18:00

MajorGeeks lists a McAfee Consumer Product Removal (MCPR) tool :

It's also referenced at McAfee Technical Support (TS), which indicates: 
1) this tool is Vista compatible (but will not run on the older 98/ME systems), and
2) you should remove whatever you can via Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs,   before you apply this tool.

http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/faq3.asp?docid=408302

I personally have never used it, meaning I cannot attest to its effectiveness nor to its safety.

If you choose to try it, keep in mind it's a COMPLETE removal tool for ALL McAfee products you have installed.... I don't  believe you can "pick and choose", to remove only some, and keep the rest.

Message Edited by ky331 on 03-27-2007 03:55 PM

10 Posts

March 27th, 2007 19:00

Thanks ky331.
That was a fast and accurate answer:smileyhappy:

10 Posts

I certainly will do that, thanks for all your help.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

Glad to have been of help.

By the way, I trust that you're replacing McAfee with another anti-virus, to keep your system protected....

[And if it contained a firewall, anti-spyware, or the like, to replace these as well....]

34 Posts

March 27th, 2007 20:00

McAfee is the most intrusive virus/spyware I've ever had to deal with also. :smileyvery-happy:

McAfee cuts of your nose to spite your face :smileyvery-happy:

508 Posts

March 28th, 2007 02:00

AVG works well.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

March 28th, 2007 13:00

In terms of FREE anti-virus programs, people in these forums are  recommending Grisoft/AVG, Avast!, Avira/AntiVir, or Active Virus Shield.  [The last one is based on Kaspersky, an excellent product --- but some people consider AVS "tainted", because it's been freely distributed by AOL].

All are considered good.   It's more a matter of user choice as to which is "best"...
As of his posting on 3/1/07, forum member Joe53 [whose opinion I strongly respect] recommends Avira's AntiVir,  Avast! 4 Home Edition, and  Grisoft's AVG Free- in this order.

P.S.   Do NOT install more than one of these Anti-virus products. 

All are FREE; some may require you to go through a "registration" procedure.

Grisoft/AVG Free
(Win 98SE, ME, NT Workstation SP6a, 2000 Pro SP4 with Security Rollup Pack, XP SP2, Vista):  http://free.grisoft.com/doc/avg-anti-virus-free/lng/us/tpl/v5

Avast! Home Edition
(Win 95/98/ME, NT 4.0, 2000. XP, Vista ;
 but excluing NT/2000/2003 Server families): 

Avira/AntiVir Personal Edition  ( Windows 98/Me/NT/2000/XP ):

Active Virus Shield  (Windows 98, 2000, ME & XP):  http://www.activevirusshield.com/antivirus/freeav/index.adp

Message Edited by ky331 on 03-28-2007 10:25 AM

459 Posts

March 28th, 2007 22:00

I have looked into many of the anti virus programs that you are recommending. I am looking for an anti virus ONLY program. The ones that you recommend seem to include other features and software. Like TREND PC Cillin Internet Security 2007. All that I use is the anti virus portion. Any suggestions for an anti virus ONLY recommendation.
Windows XP  Dimension 8250   1Gb RAM  Seagate Eaternal 250GB Drive
Sherr

Message Edited by Sherr on 03-28-2007 07:41 PM

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

March 28th, 2007 23:00

Sherr,

Are you referring to the 4 programs in my post?

AVG AntiVirus & AOL Active Virus Shield  are just antivirus programs,  as is also AntiVIr Personal Edition Classic (to be distinguished from the non-free Premium Edition/ Suite which includes a firewall and perhaps other security feature).

The documentation for avast! indicates that it also includes a "network shield" ---which can be viewed as a "lightweight firewall" (or more precisely, an IDS (Intrusion Detection System)), which provides protection against known Internet worms/attacks.   I would not consider this a "full-fledged" firewall, as detection of worm-attacks is considered a standard anti-virus function.   Avast! also includes a "Web shield", which acts as a "transparent HTTP proxy".   Are these features what you consider to be more than just an antivirus program?

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

March 29th, 2007 00:00

Sherr:

You asked about recommendations for an AV a few weeks back, and received pretty much the same advice as ky331 gave you. As I look back, it seems you were concerned about extra features, in particular email scanning (which I do not recommend nor use).

But you will be hard-pressed to find any AV program that does not include this option ( and I stress the word option)- the industry seems to feel that consumers want and expect it, even though in my opinion it is a marketing gimmick.

However AVG Free, avast Home edition, and AntiVir can all be configured during installation to NOT install this option, if you choose the "custom install". (I can't speak to AOL's product, which I haven't tried, but I suspect it is the same). If you take this route, I can assure you that you will have a basic AV only.

The other "extra features" you seem to be concerned about do not cause any problems (and I've used all 3) and are options that can be disabled from within the program if you so wish. I really don't think you will find any AV that is simpler than the ones that have been recommended.

459 Posts

March 29th, 2007 10:00

I use the Microsoft Firewall which is adequate. The lightweight firewall that you refer to probably requires me to disable the Microsoft firewall. Something that I am not about to do. In any case when the programs that you refer to are updated with downloads they probably include updates for the antivirus as well as the other featues of the program. Even if those features are disabled. In the case of PC Cillin Internet Security 2007 I receive downloads daily. They frequently take an unacceptably long time. And I have everything disabled execpt the antivirus. With PC Cillin I can not select which downloads I want. Also there is no control as to when the download takes place. You either allow the download or cancel it. But it keeps on trying to download. I assume that the other free software that you refer to is the same.  So that is why I am looking for a simple antivirus with NO bells and whistles.
Sherr

Message Edited by Sherr on 03-29-2007 07:33 AM

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

March 29th, 2007 11:00

Sherr:

To clarify, when you first asked for an anti-virus program "only", I interpreted that to mean an "independent" anti-virus product, as opposed to a complete "security suite" --- the latter could also include a firewall, anti-spyware program, and perhaps other security "products".   In other words, I didn't realize that what you're actually looking for is a "bare bones" anti-virus program, which doesn't even include e-mail checking.

Since the avast! "lightweight" firewall is not a true, full-fledged firewall, I would speculate that it would not interfere with Windows firewall.   Perhaps Joe53, who has experience with avast, could chime-in with his results.   But I agree with you, that I would not turn-off windows firewall in favor of a "lightweight" one.

I can speak with first-hand experience about AVG anti-virus.   I get automatic updates on a once-daily basis, and can check for additional updates (if any) as frequently as I make the effort to manually update.
AVG uses an "intelligent" updater, which checks to see how recently you've updated, and then, applies the smallest appropriate update it has to make your system current.
The typical size of a definition-update file is between 4k and 250k... which on a DSL connection usually downloads before I can blink an eye.   Even when I was using dial-up, it usually took well-under a minute.
Every once and a while, they also have a program-update, which can be anywhere from 600k to 2500k (and yes, larger -- a few Meg --- if it's a MAJOR update).   On DSL, even this should take just  a minute or two.   Dial-up might run 10 to 30 minutes.

Are you still using dial-up?   DSL?  or some other kind of cable?

Is you download "speed" problem only with the PC-cillan??  How large (kb) are their files?   Perhaps you're running some other programs that are conflicting with PC-cillan, causing things to slow down?

Message Edited by ky331 on 03-29-2007 09:13 AM

459 Posts

March 29th, 2007 12:00

I am using DSL. About 10 percent of the time download  is slow. It appears as though the AVAST shortcoming could be their lightweight firewall. But I'll look into that further. My PC Cillin subscription runs out in a few months so I have time to select an antivirus ONLY program. I also run Windows Defender and Ad Aware and Microsoft Firewall. So there is nothing else I require. My additional requirements are the ability to allow the download and to get a description of the download. Basically  something similar to Windows update. It's my impression that any security software that has a secutitry suite will always download updates for the entire suite regardless of what I have enabled. I don't know the file size. How do I get that info.
 Thanks for the assistance.
Sherr

Message Edited by Sherr on 03-29-2007 09:43 AM

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

March 29th, 2007 13:00

if you're asking me for the size of the Trend Micro files, I don't use their program, so I don't know where to find that information.... you'll just have to find that on your own.

As for AVG [which I'll continue to talk about, only since i'm most familiar with it]. they have an update page [for the PAID version] here:

They offer "mini" updates, "micro" updates, and "incremental" updates.

Looking at their page at this instant [which may change at any moment], it's currently showing 3 different sizes for the 268.18. 22 "micro" definition update:

130.5 kb, if you have version 268. 18.0 installed (which is the most recent "mini" update)
666.7 kb, if you have version 268.  0.0 installed (i.e., if your "mini" is not up to date)
5.7 Mb, if you have anything older installed (if you're "way" out of date)

By updating regularly (i.e., daily), you should continue to get the smallest available updates at any given time.

You might want to test your DSL bandwidth, to confirm you're getting what you're supposed to... there are several test sites, such as

My DSL is rated at 768Kbps max, and the test typically indicates I'm actually getting about 650Kbps

I'm also wondering if you're running some other programs, or combination of programs, that are interfering with each other, and slowing things down.    Unless you're certain that everything is "perfect", you might consider posting a HiJackThis log in the HJT forum, so someone there can analyze what's actually running.

459 Posts

March 29th, 2007 19:00

Are you using AVG FREE or PROFESSIONAL. Do you have the E-Mail screed disabled. Thanks again.
Sherr
No Events found!