Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

SN

February 12th, 2007 09:00

HowTo: Remove McAfee 90-day trial manually

Machine: Inspiron 9400 w/Windows Media 2005

It goes without saying that you've tried to remove it using the uninstallation tool first, also in Safe Mode. In fact, I've only managed to uninstall McAfee adware in safemode.
This only applies to an IE error I had (or whatever errors you have) that stopped me from running the uninstallation. I didn't want to manually edit the register either that McAfee suggest.

This is a way to do it without all that.

The uninstall program to the trial version resides in c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\shared\mcappins.exe
and as you guessed, you can pass parameters to it, allowing you to remove McAfee in a few steps.

Path and general parameters:
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\shared\mcappins.exe /v=3 /uninstall=1 /interact=1 /script_proactive=0

Individual parameters:
Firewall: /appid=mpf /start=C:\PROGRA~\mcafee.com\agent\uninst\mpfrem.ui::uninstall.htm
SecurityCenter: /appid=msc /start=C:\PROGRA~\mcafee.com\agent\uninst\screm.ui::uninstall.htm
SpamKiller: /appid=MSK /start=C:\PROGRA~\mcafee.com\agent\uninst\mskremui.dll::uninstall.htm
Uninstaller: /start=C:\PROGRA~\mcafee.com\agent\uninst\comrem.dll::uninstall.htm
VirusScan: /appid=vso /start=C:\PROGRA~\mcafee.com\agent\uninst\vsoremui.dll::uninstall.htm

For a full story and details see:
http://www.sigg3.net/entry/990

Thanks!

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

February 12th, 2007 11:00

(I didn't click on your "full story" link, so please excuse this if you've already tried it there, but...)

Did you try first opening the McAfee Security Center,
disabling ALL the McAfee products [AV, firewall, spamkiller, etc] running there,
and then, run the uninstaller from Add/Remove Programs??

February 12th, 2007 17:00

Yes. I've uninstalled McAfee trials without any hassle (in Safemode) on several other systems, so I was at a complete loss when this happened.. There was an error with the all-in-one uninstaller, but uninstalling one and one service (notably "Security System" at the end) using the mcappins.exe completely cleared the program eventually (lot of stuff to type + reboots). It's all in the full link:) When I had uninstalled every single + the full "Security system", the uninstaller was removed correctly.

Message Edited by sigg3.net on 02-12-2007 02:00 PM
No Events found!