Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 21st, 2012 18:00

Lifetime Subscription for Security Softwares

I just recieved a call from somebody trying to sell me a lifetime subscription for Norton Internet Security 2012 for $200.

Is this something that's possible?

Do security softwares like Norton,Mcafee,Trend or Kaspersky etc. provide a lifetime subscription?

Please update.

Best Regards

Manish Nasa

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

February 21st, 2012 20:00

Hi Manish, and welcome to to the forum:

An unsolicited phone call purporting to sell you a "lifetime" subscription to an AV is news to me.

Sounds like a scam.

Even if it were legit, I would not buy into such a scheme. I have changed my resident AV many times over the years, as better products have evolved. And for several years now, I 've been using the excellent free AVs avast or MSE.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

February 22nd, 2012 04:00

As with Joe, I am skeptical about ANY UNsolicited sales offer.   Odds are it's a scammer trying to rip you off --- collect your money, and then disappear.

And even if it were legitimate (which I doubt), there are other issues to consider:

1) Is it a lifetime offer to YOU --- the USER --- on whatever computer systems you currrently have, or will own in your lifetime???... or is it simply a lifetime offer for one particular computer system, which can break down and be trashed tomorrow?

2) What if the issuing company (Brand X) is bought out by another company (Brand Y)?   Will Brand Y have a legal obligation to continue to honor "lifetime" offers that Brand X had made?   Similarly, what if Brand X declares bankruptcy?   In that case, it's entirely possible that all contracts (be they time-limited or lifetime) could be voided as part of the bankruptcy reorganization.

3)  Is the lifetime offer just for definition updates, or program updates as well?   In other words, when Norton 2013, 2014, 2015,..., 2020,... 2025 &etc are released, could it be that they are offering you only a "lifetime" of definition/signature updates to N2012?   In which case, when you buy Norton 2015 in 3 years, you may have to separately purchase a "lifetime" of support for the newer program????  

Like Joe, I am a believer in (and user of) quality FREE anti-virus programs... as he noted, avast! and Microsoft Security Essentials.   But if I ever did decide to go for a paid product, I would probably renew it a year at a time.

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

February 22nd, 2012 04:00

I would not buy into such a scheme. I have changed my resident AV many times over the years, as better products have evolved. And for several years now, I 've been using the excellent free AVs avast or MSE.
I agree, and have used all the major paid and free AV's at one time or another. Over the years things change. Companies come and go.. What seems fantastic today may not be so a week from now.

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

February 23rd, 2012 15:00

I have been using free products for computer security for several years now. I learned about them from the regulars on this board, and have been very happy with the results. I would advise you to investigate these programs and see if they would suit your needs. I believe that Bug Batter and joe53 both have links in their signatures pointing to various recommended products.

No Events found!