Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

January 19th, 2004 15:00

McAfee Internet Security 6.0 Help.

Hi, I just bought McAfee IS6.0 and after a few days it asked me to verify each product... I verified Spamkiller, Virus Scan, and Personal Firewall, but Privacy Service never prompted me to verify it, and now it won't work... It says it's expired. Is there any way I can manually verify it? I havn't been able to get it back yet... If I reinstall it wil work for a few days again, and then do the same thing. Any help will be appreciated.

426 Posts

January 20th, 2004 03:00

Unless you have children that you are trying to keep away from nasty things on the internet, there is no real reason to use the privacy service.  The popup blocking that it provides is just as easily accomplished using the Google toolbar.  If you do have children and need to use it, I suggest that you carefully read the help files within it to set it up properly and make sure that you password protect it with a strong password that is not easily guessed.

2 Posts

January 20th, 2004 12:00

I like using it because it blocks web bugs and popups... I could get the google toobar, but I'd still like to know why the Privacy Service keeps expiring.

56 Posts

January 22nd, 2004 16:00

1)What is the exact proceedure, to access(And to utilize)the Google Toolbar, to block Pop-ups etc.?  I also, have the Dell(McAfee Security 6 Suite).

2)Which of the initial, AV programs(90 day trial-as can be installed on new Dell computers)is the least troublesome(In eating up excessive memory-and, slowing down the computer)the Norton AntiVirus-or, the complete McAfee Security Center 6(Suite)?

3)Which of these AV programs(McAfee(Suite)or, Norton AV)in #2 above, is the easiest to "Uninstall" and, to get completely removed from the computer(With the least amount of problems(Or, headaches)?

4)Please detail your answers to the above questions-To aid all of us "Greenhorns" out here?

426 Posts

January 22nd, 2004 17:00

1)What is the exact proceedure, to access(And to utilize)the Google Toolbar, to block Pop-ups etc.?  I also, have the Dell(McAfee Security 6 Suite).

You can get the Google toolbar at http://toolbar.google.com/.  The page also includes a help link explaining the various feature.

2)Which of the initial, AV programs(90 day trial-as can be installed on new Dell computers)is the least troublesome(In eating up excessive memory-and, slowing down the computer)the Norton AntiVirus-or, the complete McAfee Security Center 6(Suite)?

It's difficult for me to pass judgement here because I've never used the McAfee product.  As far as I know, the Norton product only includes the Anti-Virus while the McAfee also includes a firewall and privacy service.  Norton is typically known as one of the better AV products and I have used it in the past.  At this time I'm using etrust EZ Antivirus Suite which includes the firewall from ZoneAlarm which they have re-branded under the etrust name.  It is free for one year at the current time.

3)Which of these AV programs(McAfee(Suite)or, Norton AV)in #2 above, is the easiest to "Uninstall" and, to get completely removed from the computer(With the least amount of problems(Or, headaches)?

Once again, I'll have to avoid this question as I've never attempted to uninstall the McAfee product and the last time I use the Norton product was several years ago.  That one (Norton 5.0) uninstalled without too much difficulty and only left a few things behind which were easily deleted. 

3.9K Posts

January 22nd, 2004 20:00

The link below to my web site might help, it has articles witten by ryri (another DellTalk regular) on firewalls and AV's etc.

56 Posts

January 23rd, 2004 02:00

Where did you obtain the complete eTrust AV suite, advertised for free?  Do you have the link?  I contacted eTrust-but, they indicated to me, that they couldn't legally tell me, where to find the link, to obtain this?  However, they stated, that if I knew where to find this free eTrust software, that I could download it-and, eTrust would honor it!  And, it would be free, for one year!  Then, I could renew it, after the free year had expired, at my option!

426 Posts

January 23rd, 2004 03:00

No Events found!