Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

May 4th, 2006 11:00

McAfee Spamkiller

I purchased the dowload from McAfee when my Dell installed software expired.  After installation during the reboot to take effect I get an error message.

Outlook is in the title bar of the error popup and the message says:
"There is no default mail client or the mail client cannot handle messaging requests.  Please run Outlook and make it the default mail client."

I have installed Office.  It put an Outlook Icon on my desktop.  If I click this icon it take me to an installation wizard which if I went through all the steps would set up Outlook to be my e-mail program.  I have not done this.  Outlook never has been used or attempted to be used as my mail program.

I have Outlook Express and that mail program is running fine.  After installing Spamkiller it did not place a spamkiller icon in the Outlook Express Toolbar nor did it create a Spamkiller folder in which to place spam e-mails.  If you look in the e-mail accounts both of my current e-mail accounts were detected and listed.  However no e-mail was getting through spamkiller to those acccount.  All e-mail was being stopped in the Spamkiller accepted e-mail.

I deleted both of my e-mail accounts in spamkiller.  Then I did an add.  It found both e-mail accounts and when I typed in my password for both of them it accepted them.  It then put my e-mail through to Outlook Express.  It however runs very slow.  Changing from the inbox to any other mailbox can take up to 1-2 minutes.  I also get the error message mentioned above everytime I boot up.

I know the Spamkiller is what is giving me problems as I used the McAfee removal tools and removed the privacy service and spamkiller.  I still have anti-virus and firewall running.  I do not get any error messages at all when booting up.  I then re-installed the Spamkiller and I get the error message right away and then I would have to manually configure my email accounts again as they don't get picked up.  There must be some confusion with Mcafee and it looking at Outlook for some reason.  Why??? I don't know.

I have spent a couple days with McAfee Chat and they now are passing me off to Ask Dell or Microsoft as they don't believe it is their software causing the problem.

So I'm turning to this forum to see if you can provide any insite?  I installed the same software suite on my father in laws Dell system and It worked flawlessly.

thanks
Mike

8 Posts

May 4th, 2006 13:00

Benjamin,

I'll try to be patient as I know you are just seeing my post/problem and trying to cover all bases.  I have been diligently working on this for 3 days now.

The programs tab shows Outlook Express as the choosen program of choice.

For further information.  In Outlook Express it also is showing that it is the Default Mail Program.  When I go to the control panel and look at default programs and the custom tab the green radio button is in the "use current e-mail program"  I have tried to put the green radio button on Outlook Express and say OK but when going back there again it never stays in that position.  I am wondering if there is a problem with that?

thanks
Mike

10.4K Posts

May 4th, 2006 13:00

gmdoran

It could be a couple of things, lets do this first

Open IE (internet explorer)->> Tools->> Internet options

Click the Programs Tab->> Email->> Select the one you want to use as default

Then Apply->> Then O.K. You will have to reboot for changes to take effect

bamajim

Training at Malware Removal University

10.4K Posts

May 4th, 2006 14:00

gmdoran

when you open the mail account in Control panel. Click on e-mail accounts->> view existing accounts->> next. What does it show there?

Should show mail account and type

bamajim

Training at Malware Removal University

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 4th, 2006 15:00

McAfee Spamkiller is not a good program, IMO. I would uninstall it and use the rest of the security suite or just the anti virus. Don't waste any more time on it. Spamkiller actually hijacks your email--good and spam.

8 Posts

May 4th, 2006 16:00

Thanks Mary,

I have uninstalled it.  I got tired of the error messages.  I guess I'm just one to tinker and try to understand why things don't work.

I have seen 2 other people now on McAfee's site that are having the same problem so I know it isn't just me.  But with only 3 people reporting this I'm sure that it isn't given a High priority.  This also isn't the first time I've had weird things happen on a computer that everyone else seems to not have a problem with.  Most times my experience has been also that when it finally got resolved it really had nothing at all to do with what the actual error message said.  The message was misleading or was just a message that came up when there was not a specific message to display.

I may play around with it some more when I have more time or get the inclination to try and solve it because I don't have anything better to do. :)

thanks
Mike

8 Posts

May 4th, 2006 20:00

Bamajim,

This is part of the problem.  People ask you to do things that don't even exit.  I am using windows XP.  When I go to the control panel.  There is no e-mail accounts.  So I'm dead in the water right there.

Sorry

Mike

when you open the mail account in Control panel. Click on e-mail accounts->> view existing accounts->> next. What does it show there?

Should show mail account and type

bamajim

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

May 4th, 2006 21:00

gmdoran:

Whenever email scanners or anti-spam scanners interfere with your email, they are best disabled or uninstalled.

See: http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

8 Posts

May 8th, 2006 16:00

Joe53,

It wasn't so much that spamkiller was interfering with OE it is that I'm receiving an error message upon bootup.  I'd just like to clear the error message so it will quit.

McAfee has recommended that I run the following from the command line:

C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" /reg

I'd like to know what this line is going to do?  Is it going to re-install Outlook Express?  Is it going to make Spamkiller recognize that OE is the default mail reader?

If you have any idea what running that command will do I'd appreciate your help

thanks
gmdoran

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

May 8th, 2006 21:00

gmdoran:

All that line does is to register Outlook Express as your default email. It will not solve your problem.

My original advice stands: Disable spamkiller. You have already demonstrated that is is interfering with your email, slowing it down, and causing error messages, all of which go away when you turn off spamkiller.

8 Posts

May 8th, 2006 23:00

joe53,

Thanks for your resonse.  The error message I get on boot up is that outlook express isn't my default e-mail program.  So by running this command they feel that error message will clear up.

I'm not sure about the slowness.  I think the slowness was comming from spamkiller trying to interact with Outlook and not Outlook Express.  Once I get the program to quit looking to Outlook I feel it may fix that.

I have installed McAfee Internet Security Suite on another computer and it is functioning properly.

At worse if the program still doesn't work properly I can re-run the removal tool to uninstall spamkiller again.

I appreciate your advice though.

gmdoran

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

May 9th, 2006 00:00

Certainly it is safe to try that command line. Who knows- it might even work!

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

May 9th, 2006 22:00

@gmdoran wrote:
Joe53,

...So I uninstalled and will live without spam filtering.

gmdoran

As do I!

I keep separate email accounts, though. One for trusted family and friends (not always synonymous!), one for work-related, and one for all others, including website registrations, support feedback for software etc. Only one account gets spam. Guess which?

Thanks for posting the feedback.

Joe

8 Posts

May 9th, 2006 22:00

Joe53,

And then again it might not too :)

I ran the command and it didn't change the registry entry that I think it needs too.  In any event as soon as I re-installed it and booted up I got:

"Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request.  Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default mail client."

So I uninstalled and will live without spam filtering.

gmdoran
No Events found!