Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

December 10th, 2005 15:00

McAfee VirusScan v 10 - will not update - sees only trial version

I have Dell dim9100 XP SP2.  I have been unable to re-install McAfee VirusScan v10 from a purchased McAfee CD. I followed all of their support documents and purged McAfee files from my computer inc the registry, temp files and cookies.  Yet when I re-install from the McAfee CD, the VirusScan update hyperlinks to McAfee.com and sees only the clock notifying me how many days are left on the trial version.  It does not see the new VirusScan install even though my account at McAfee's site sees that McAfee Int Sec Suite 2006 is registered.  When Dell installs a trial version, there must be a hidden file in the installation which needs to be deleted before McAfee software can do a clean installation from the disk. Where can it be? Any suggestions?  I have contacted McAfee support several times and there support board as well. I'm now considering that the solution may be with Dell because the trial version came loaded on the new PC. Can I get a list of all the files included in the trial version loaded by Dell?  Are any of the McAfee trial files in Dell folders residing in my PC?  

Thank you for your support!
Ruth

1 Message

December 11th, 2005 21:00

I have just about the same problem.  We purchased 2-year McAfee from Dell with a 9300, never registered it on that computer - attemted to install it on our new 700 and it does the same thing - hyperlink to the McAfee website and gave us a trial version, which has now run out.  I no long have virus protection on my computer.  Today my husband called Dell and was transfered 5 times w/o any help before he gave up.   Ugggghhhhhh!!!!    
No Events found!