Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 21st, 2006 01:00

McAfee install stopping PC shutdown

Help- McAfee Virus Scan is installing itself (though I had already installed it) and I am unable to stop it and more importantly to shut down my computer (using Windows XP).  Thanks for your help
Novice user,
Falaah

2 Posts

January 23rd, 2006 14:00

we currently have the exact same problem (running XP, pre-installed McAfee security suite).   called Dell, they said it's a virus which other customers were experiencing and because we didn't purchase their software warranty, they couldn't help (shock).  All I want to know is, what's the name of this virus/how to remove it.   

3 Posts

January 24th, 2006 15:00

Thanks for your reply.  How do I remove this virus?  I was able to shutdown only after hitting ctr-alt-delete. 

2 Posts

January 24th, 2006 17:00

I wish I knew how to get rid of this virus/spyware.  I tried scanning the drive in safemode with McAfee VirusScan (1-18-06 definitions), then I went to the McAfee site and used their Stinger, Klez and Bugbear apps but none of them detected anything.  I'm going to try SpywareStrike and Noadware tonight.  If this has anything to do with the Nyxem worm, http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/124449;_ylt=AqdKkSO.LsdczCcx.vXZqm8jtBAF;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA-- then it's not surprising the scans have revealed nothing so far.  still haven't determined how the firewall/virus scan was breached - it was not via an email attachment.   I would welcome any help/other suggestions.

4 Posts

February 7th, 2006 17:00

I experienced the same issues. I ended up running in safe mode for 3 days because windows wouldn't run normally. I discovered that parts of Mcafee were damaged. Once I performed an uninstall everything ran great. I'm now able to shut down the computer with no problems and the system is WAY faster. I'm now running Freedom security for anti-virus, pop up blocker, etc., and not having any problems.

3 Posts

February 10th, 2006 03:00

Thank you for responding .  I have not had the McAfee install/shutdown problem more than the one time, so  I did not made any of the changes that have been suggested.  (I am a chicken for change!)  I have had the system go "black" on me twice and had trouble shutting down both times.  Maybe this is related to the same problem. 
No Events found!