Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

May 28th, 2004 12:00

Mcafee- AVG

A friend of mine downloaded mcafee viruscan, but got rid of it and downloaded AVG because the mcafee was taking over 4 hours to scan his computer.  He said he remembers that when mcafee was done scanning it said it had gone through like 30,000 files, and now when he scans with AVG, it goes through roughly 15,000.  Does this mean AVG isnt scanning some things it should be or that it is less thourough than mcaffee?

683 Posts

May 28th, 2004 12:00

Probably depends on how it's set up. The McAfee may be set up to scan all files, the AVG to scan only the files at most risk.

Message Edited by gudgeon on 05-28-2004 02:53 PM

192 Posts

May 28th, 2004 18:00

my friends pc doesnt really show apps. he has windows me so i dont know whats vitsal processes and what isnt.  Nothing is infecting his pc anymore, he got it off.  i closed all other windows and those little icons at bottom right on taskbar be4 scanning.

21 Posts

I run Mcafee daily on my PC and it scans a little over 50,000 files - - all files on my pc.  Usually takes about 5 minutes.  Sounds like you have something else possibly running in the background.  Have you checked your task manager-processes to see if something is infecting your pc?

21 Posts

Hmmm, just a thought.  I don't know much about Win ME but if you are able to open the task manager process that graphically displays your CPU Usage and CPU history it should stay at or near 2-4% if nothing is running.  If it doesn't, then you've got something else going on.  As far as checking running applications and what they are, you can just type in the name of what you see running on a google search and it should show you what it is.  I used this method to discover I had some junk(spyware)that Macafee wasn't picking up.  Ad-aware is good software to download and check things out.  Its free....  Good luck......

192 Posts

May 29th, 2004 10:00

Well, I will check my friends pc for the cpu usage thing.  It doesnt matter much now, cause he has avg and it scans in 1/2 hour or less, but do you think it might be because of RAM?  his pc has only 64 megs, which surprised me, because his comps about 2-3 years old and he has win ME.  I have one thats like 5 years old running windows 98 and i know that it has 128 mb.  I do have adaware and spybot on my pc, i know its good for getting that junk off, but my friend doesnt have it yet.  I will do the google search thing for his comp, its what i did for mine be 4 spybot and adaware. thanks.

3.4K Posts

May 30th, 2004 03:00

While Adaware and Spybot are excellent tools, they're not enough anymore. I'd bet a dime (cheapskate) that your PC and your friend with Millennium both have malware components undetected. If you want to see what lies under the cover...check out the best analysis and repair tool available: Hijackthis.

If you'd care to see what is happening on your computer (or your friends's) download and install an analysis and repair tool called Hijackthis.

Go here and download the file: http://tomcoyote.com/hjt

Please unzip Hijackthis.zip into a new folder you create in the root (first) level of the C: drive. Name this folder HJT for best and safest results. (don't unzip it into a temp folder or run the file from a temp folder, or the Windows Desktop, etc...as it needs a safe folder to keep backup logs). Also when people post here and place it on the Desktop the log usually shows their full name since their Windows user profile is commonly named with their full name. We try not to disturb your privacy. *;-)

See this link for graphical instruction: http://russelltexas.com/spywareinfo/createhjtfolder.htm

See my entire Hijackthis FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) at:

http://www.russelltexas.com/spywareinfo/faqhijackthis.htm

After downloading, and unzipping the hijackthis file into a safe folder you create (preferably a folder named HJT in the first level of the C: drive)...run Hijackthis, click on the 'scan' button and then 'save log' button.

Copy and paste the contents of the text file you save into a reply to this message. A lot of posters make mistakes here in copying and pasting so reread the left info sidebar called Copy and Paste at http://www.tomcoyote.com/hjt

Special Notice! Hijackthis is a powerful tool that edits the brains of Windows (the Registry). DO NOT FIX anything in the Hijackthis log screen without assistance from the experts! Most of the line items in the scanned log are normal for Windows operation. Hijackthis should identify the vast majority of your problems and enable us to help you clean them off your system.

Stay in this thread for continuity. Reply to this message.

HTH (Hope that Helps)

Texruss 

192 Posts

June 2nd, 2004 12:00

When you say the root of the C:/ drive, that means not going into any subfolders, right?  you said dont put it in a temp folder.  Does that mean this folder cant be deleted once  ive got it?  Am i supposed to keep HJT and use it regularly like spybot+adaware or clean stuff up, then get rid of it?

3.4K Posts

June 2nd, 2004 23:00

When you say the root of the C: drive, that means not going into any subfolders, right? 

Correct:  http://russelltexas.com/spywareinfo/rootlevelfaq.htm

>you said don't put it in a temp folder.  Does that mean this folder can't be deleted once I've got it? 

It can be deleted like any folder or file.

> Am i supposed to keep HJT and use it regularly like spybot+adaware

Yes...and update it when new versions come out...I run mine once a week or whenever I think something might have infiltrated my system.

All the best,

Texruss
www.russelltexas.com
Spyware Fighter Wilders Forum
Slyware Fighter Tom Coyote Forum
Expert Malware Responder Dell Forum

192 Posts

June 3rd, 2004 03:00

so root folder is different than temp folder

3.4K Posts

June 3rd, 2004 23:00

so root folder is different than temp folder