Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 15th, 2006 09:00

Mcafee registration on new PC

I do not remember having Mcafee on my old system.  Now Ive purchased a Dell XPS400 and it came with Security Center.  Got PC hooked up to DSL last night and needed to update Virus Scan.  When I pressed "UPDATE", it took me to Mcafee Account Login page and already had my old E-mail address (from my old computer) in the field (which I do not have that address anymore).  I tried to create new account but cant get anywhere.  If I ask for help, it wants to send mail to the old E-mail address.   I thought when I purchased this new PC, that a new subscription would start with Mcafee and I would re-register?  Ive had the PC for about 3-weeks before, could I had entered something offline incorrectly?  Please help.  I want to keep the Virus software current.  Maybe I should be posting on the Amature users Board.  LOL  Still love my new Dell though!!  :)

8.8K Posts

December 15th, 2006 19:00

There should be a free trial period.

I am not real familiar with McAfee, being that the system is that new you might call Dell Tech support or try the New Users Forum.

I know you are not a new user but it's a new system.

zb1

99 Posts

December 16th, 2006 01:00

So you didn't remember having McAfee on your old system, but the Dell system prompted you to enter your email address..so you did subscribe to McAfee on your old system.  Someway, somehow, you need to get access to that old email address.  It will require it.  But, I think that the only reason why it is making you enter the old address is because you must have provided that information when you switched on the new Dell system.

That brings me to this...

You're saying that you had you're new Dell for 3 weeks BEFORE activating the McAfee software??  I would have thought that the preloaded software would load, and ask for registration information, the first time you started the computer.  If the preloaded software asked you for email information AT THE TIME of FIRST STARTUP, and you provided your OLD email address, then McAfee will recognize your PC as being connected to that old address.  This is what happened to me with McAfee...I tried upgrading the free trial, was not satisfied and did a PC restore...the FIRST time I started up the system after the restore, it asked me for this information and would NOT let me register as a new user...I had to use my existing information, which is why I registered on these forums, to find out if it would TOTALLY reinitialize or if there would be a version conflict since I was registered for the later (not preloaded) version.  Turns out, there wasn't a version conflict BUT I COULD NOT register as a new user...it detected certain, I guess Dell, settings and would not accept me as a new user....I had to register as an existing user using my existing email address.

Maybe you should speak to Dell or McAfee....they might be able to give you some options.

Message Edited by stan_1936 on 12-15-200609:16 PM

Message Edited by stan_1936 on 12-15-200609:18 PM

No Events found!