Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

February 21st, 2010 20:00

Norton 360 - Compatability with other programs and location of virus definitions

Hi everyone.  I hope you can give me some advice.

In July 2009, my Dimension 4600 was infected with a virus, a trojan, and a worm.  I managed to get rid of them with the free Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and McAfee Stinger.  I have had trouble with the computer ever since, so replaced it.  I also I bought a new program - Norton 360.  I have the version for up to 3 computers, so I installed it on my Inspiron 1545 laptop and Inspiron 546 desktop.  Because of my previous problems, I am concerned if this will be enough.  My Dimension was infected when I was on Facebook, and I still use it with my laptop.  Facebook has taken care of those problems, but it might happen again.  Is there a free program you would suggest I use in conjunction with Norton 360?  Both computers run Windows XP.

Does anyone know where on the hard drive Norton 360 saves the virus signatures?  My desktop has a dial-up modem, and I haven't been able to get signatures as I just installed the program yesterday.  There must be too many.  I bought it in August.  I was thinking about copying them from my laptop to a flash drive then putting them on the desktop's hard drive.

Thanks,

Lori

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

February 22nd, 2010 04:00

To complement your Norton 360 [which includes resident anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall]... and MBAM (which you already have)...

I would recommend using both OpenDNS and WOT... scroll-down to section 10 here:  http://naut.homestead.com/files/Free/free4.html#Safe Surfing Habits

----

For browsers:

If you're using IE8, be sure the SmartScreen Filter is enabled.   (Tools / Internet Options / Advanced / scroll down to Security, and be sure the box for "Enable SmartScreen Filter" is checked)

If you're using Opera, under Tools/Preferences/Advanced/Security , check the box Enable Fraud Protection.

If you're using FireFox, under Tools/Options/Security, check the boxes for Warn me when sites try to install add-ons , Block Reported Attack Sites and Block Reported Web Forgeries

-----------------

You might also consider using a HOSTS file, such as  http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm   ; if you do so, keep in mind you have to MANUALLY keep it up to date.

However, please stress that no matter how much protection you use/add, nothing is 100% foolproof.   All we can do is hope for the best.  "Safe-surfing" certainly helps.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 22nd, 2010 07:00

Hello Lori,

To update Norton on your desktop, you can use Intelligent Updater from Symantec. I gather you have access to broadband through your laptop, if so, then download the Intelligent Updater from the link below and then transfer it to your desktop using a Flashdrive or CD-RW. Once this is done, simply click to install the latest definition updates

http://www.symantec.com/business/security_response/definitions/download/detail.jsp?gid=n95

If your system is 32bit, then the first download; 20100221-021-v5i32.exe is what you need.

If it is 64bit, then download the fourth one down the list; 20100221-021-v5i64.exe.

The numbers underlined above represent the date of the definitions and will change daily as they are updated, hopefully you will only need to run the Intelligent Updater once, as the daily Live Updates are significantly smaller in size, which may not be so much of a problem for dial-up.

For additional protection to Norton 360 - If you are prepared to do a little homework, I would suggest Sandboxie.

http://www.sandboxie.com/

:emotion-1:

13 Posts

February 22nd, 2010 08:00

Thanks for the advice.  I haven't actually put MBAM on either machine, but I would like to.  One feature I like about it is you can check other drives for "bad stuff."  I remember when Norton software used to allow that.  I will look into the others.

Thanks for also including the browser information.  I primarily use Firefox, but have IE for updates.

Lori

13 Posts

February 22nd, 2010 08:00

Red Dawn,

Thanks for your reply.  It's nice to know there is another option for those updates.

13 Posts

February 22nd, 2010 12:00

Red Dawn,

That is so cool!  I had to use Google to figure out if I had a 32 or 64 system.  I didn't know anything like that existed!  I wish I could do that with Windows Update.  To download and install the 26 critical updates I need on dial-up would take 8 hours!

Lori

1K Posts

February 22nd, 2010 12:00

In July 2009, my Dimension 4600 was infected with a virus, a trojan, and a worm.  I managed to get rid of them with the free Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and McAfee Stinger.  I have had trouble with the computer ever since, so replaced it.

Hi Lori.

In addition to the advices given by Ky and RD, I would say not to jump the gun and delete any file that your AV detects, and if the files are in system or ends in .sys, be specially careful. Make sure you can even move the detected file to quarantine lest the PC will not work. May be it was your case with your 4600.

Take note of the file and look for it in the web. Also, have it checked by VirusTotal where as many as 40 or so securities search engines can give you their findings about the file in question.

http://www.virustotal.com/

Also you can post the files in your AV forums or post here for advice.

Regards.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 22nd, 2010 14:00

I'm pretty sure the same could be done for Windows Update.

Run Windows Update on your Desktop and take note of the Important updates needed. Then from your laptop, search the Windows Download Center for each update, and download manually.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/default.aspx

For example, searching for the recent Security Update for Windows (KB977165).

Returns THESE RESULTS.

You will need to select from the results the update relative to your system.

Which for you would be;

Security Update for Windows XP (KB977165)  (32bit).

or if you use XP 64bit;

Security Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB977165)

Repeat these steps for each update you need, being very careful to select the proper ones.

After you transfer the Microsoft updates to your XP desktop, I would first create a system restore point, then begin installing them in order from the oldest to the newest. If you have quite a few updates, it might be handy to create a system restore point after every 5 updates you install.

If any of the updates require a reboot to complete installation, do so immediately.

13 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 13:00

Red Dawn,

I just installed the Windows updates this way.  It worked very well.  There was one I couldn't find (for my SB X-Treme sound card), but I can download it tonight while I'm watching the Olympics.

Thank you very much,

Lori

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 23rd, 2010 15:00

Hi Lori,

Glad to hear everything went well. That update you mention above sounds like an optional driver update, which personally I wouldn't bother with. If the sound on your computer is working okay, then I would leave well enough alone. Driver updates from Microsoft have been known in the past to cause problems and are best kept clear of, IMO.

I only install High Priority/ Important updates from Microsoft, then pick and choose from the rest, very rarely (if ever) installing anything marked optional.

If you decide you want to go ahead and install it anyway, be sure to create a system restore point first.

A good article below for you to read.

Which Windows updates should I install?

:emotion-1:

13 Posts

February 26th, 2010 13:00

Red Dawn,

It turns out I didn't download it.  I tried, I lost my Internet connection before it was finished downloading so I lost everything.  I contacted Microsoft and the gave me the website to go to (http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx), but when I read the web release note it said one of the requirements is Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.  My version of XP is 32 bit.  I found out which it was here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218). 

Lori

No Events found!