Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

22 Posts

May 30th, 2020 04:00

PC virus protection Dell vs Macafee

Hello

I have a new PC from dell which comes with virus protection from Dell and also MacAfee already pre installed. My question is when my free sub. ends with MacAfee is it worth renewing or the dell protection is more than enough to keep my PC safe from malware etc. 

What does everyone recommend ?

Thanks!!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 4th, 2020 12:00

You're welcome.

If your question has been answered, please mark this thread "Answered" - thanks!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 30th, 2020 05:00

I just use the built into Windows 10 "Windows Defender" for antivirus.  I also have Malwarebytes.   Even if you use a paid program such as McAfee you still need a malware program such as Malwarebytes.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 30th, 2020 08:00

Mcafee is not useful imho.

I recommend force Removal via McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool (MCPR.exe)

http://us.mcafee.com/apps/supporttools/mcpr/mcpr.asp

1. Download the MCPR tool.
  2. Double-click MCPR.exe.
  3. If you see a security warning:

Click Yes, Continue, or Run (depending on your version of Windows):
  5. At the McAfee Software Removal screen:
    1. Click Next
    2. Click Agree to accept the End User License Agreement (EULA).

6. At the Security Validation screen:
    1. Type the characters exactly as shown on your screen. Validation is case-sensitive.
    2. Click Next. This step prevents the accidental use of MCPR.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 30th, 2020 13:00

Always include PC model in your posts...

What "virus protection from Dell" did you get in addition to McAfee? 

Dell typically includes either a free trial of McAfee or a fully paid 1-year subscription to McAfee in the PC's purchase price.

If you got a 1-year subscription to McAfee included, and decide to remove it, be sure to register at the McAfee site first. That way, if you change your mind, you can download and reinstall McAfee for free for whatever time remains on the 1-year subscription.

22 Posts

June 1st, 2020 02:00

Hi it’s called My Dell Support Assist and it seems to have a virus malware scanner included. 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 1st, 2020 10:00

@fabioconte  - SupportAssist only checks the health of your PC hardware and alerts you when there are driver or application updates available, but only for things that Dell installed on your PC. 

SupportAssist does not provide any malware protection. If you stop using McAfee immediately or when your free trial or 1-yr subscription expires, you will need to install something else, eg Windows Defender (free from Microsoft), or one of the other free or paid anti-malware services.

22 Posts

June 3rd, 2020 00:00

Thanks Ron

do you think windows defender which is already installed on my PC is enough protection on its own? 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 3rd, 2020 11:00

Windows Defender is pretty good. No one of these apps (free or paid) catches everything, so it's more a personal and budget choice.

An occasional "on-demand" scan with Malwarebytes (free version) is a good idea, regardless of whether you use Windows Defender, McAfee, etc.

My new Dell PC came with McAfee and I'll keep using it for a while longer and then use McAfee's removal tool to remove it completely and switch to Windows Defender...

22 Posts

June 4th, 2020 02:00

Thanks again !!

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

June 5th, 2020 20:00

As a long time tester of security programs (both free and paid), I'll just add my 2 cents.

For many years I have promoted free security programs (such as Avast Free, Panda Free, Windows Defender) based on my experience using them, and on independent website tests. These free AV programs equal or exceed paid programs in independent tests in recent years.

Like Ron, I currently use Windows Defender (free) on my Win10 systems, supplemented by Malwarebytes. My Win 10 systems have never been compromised, according to either Windows Defender, or to Malwarebytes.

If you are using Win 10, Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Free are the protection I recommend.

No Events found!