Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 13th, 2009 00:00

Please help with Mcafee updates

I am not sure if the discussion forums already talk about this, but I need fast help. I am having a problem with updating the Mcafee. I have a Inspiron 530s that is about five months old.  It came with a three year subscription of Mcafee protection. When the computer boots up it automatically starts the update process. However, it never completes it. I can wait half the day and the percentage will start over instead of compete. Is there something I need to do?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 13th, 2009 09:00

Hi smiley76,

I remember you had a problem previously with McAfee updates. Have you tried repeating the same steps again to see if it helps.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19276091.aspx

Also, it might be a good idea to run the McAfee Virtual Technician and have it fix any problems it finds, if any.

4 Posts

July 13th, 2009 22:00

Thank you for the reply. However I have tried both options several times. Each time it works up until the updates don't complete for awhile. Day after day the updates automatically start, but it gets to about 20% and then it starts over. The Mcafee after many days of not getting to complete updates begin to say the computer is not protected. I am truly frustrated and tired of dealing with this same problem.

165 Posts

July 14th, 2009 00:00

If your have a "retail" version of McAfee, I do not know if the following is pertinent, or not.

With the "Enterprise Virus Scan" version of McAfee, there are occasional bugs. Google "mcafee update errors", or similar, might be a good idea. There are work arounds, patches, etc. that will usually solve the problem.

(You probably really need a licensed copy of the software, and access to McAfee Tech Support.)

Otherwise, google McAfee tech support forums. Loko for specific error codes, possibly in your event logs.

You might be able to manually update McAfee via "superDAT" downloads. google "superdat download"? please confirm that you have a version of McAfee that is compatible with the SuperDAT update method.

I think the previous advice to uninstall McAfee and install another anti-virus product would be the easiest solution.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 14th, 2009 11:00

Smiley76,

Assuming you have already registered your McAfee subscription, then as e.pierce mentioned, the next logical step would be to reinstall your McAfee. Before uninstalling though, you should first verify that you are able to re-download McAfee by logging in HERE using your registration details.

How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe)

Alternatively, you could try McAfee's Forums HERE or online Technical Support Chat HERE.

I did come across this FAQ, but unless you are quite confident in editing the Registry, it may be best to leave it alone.

No Events found!