Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 30th, 2015 09:00

Removing McAfee from an new machine

Awaiting my new Dell Inspiron 7000 which, unfortunately, comes with McAfee AV.  Been a loyal Norton user for many years, so the first thing to do will be to uninstall McAtee and install Norton.

Are there any "gotchas" about uninstalling McAfee, given that it's built into the shipped system? Or is it just "control panel/programs/uninstall" or whatever the Win7 equivalent is in WIn8.1?

Thanks.

BTW I asked this question of Dell's chat while I was configuring my system for purchase and they offered up a link to a McAffee website that was supposed to explain removal, but the link was dead.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

March 30th, 2015 21:00

Hi alocksley:

When I last found myself in a similar situation, I made sure that I did not activate or register the McAfee that came pre-installed on my system.
- I downloaded my preferred AV to my desktop.
- I uninstalled McAfee via Control Panel.
- I downloaded and ran the McAfee uninstall tool (MCPR) from their website, according to its instructions:
service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx;lc=1033&pf=1
This tool cleans up the remnants. I note that the instructions now say you should activate your McAfee subscription before uninstalling them, if they came pre-installed. I would follow these latest directions, as it has been a few years since I addressed this issue.
- I installed my preferred AV.

Good luck!

March 30th, 2015 22:00

Hello,

If you need any help with installing the Norton product, please let me know. I'm happy to help you.

Also, check if this support article helps you: https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v58573469_EndUserProfile_en_us 

Thanks!

Vineeth

Norton Support

10 Posts

April 1st, 2015 05:00

Just what I needed. Thanks!

10 Posts

April 1st, 2015 05:00

Perfect.  Thanks. 

No Events found!