Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 27th, 2007 02:00

Security Conflicts with Windows Security Center and Norton Internet Security 2008

I need some help.  back in nov 2007 I purchased a Dell Inspiron 1720  (windows vista).. It came with Windows Security Center for firewall, spyware, automatic updates, etc....everything except anti-virus protects. Dell also installed a 30 day trial version of Norton.  (I use Norton on my desktop and I like it).  My subscription on my desktop expired about the same time as the 30 day trial expired on my Inspiron.  So instead of purchasing Norton after the 30 day trial, as prompted, I just purchased the upgrade disc and installed it on my desktop and my laptop. The subscription is good for upto 3 PCs.

On my Inspiron I immediately started having a security conflict with Windows Security and nortons.  Everytime I log on, I get the error message from my system tray.  I uninstall Norton and the problem goes away.  But I have no anti-virus protection.  Windows Security directs me to several programs to purchase, one of with is Norton.  This is weird. 

Should I have purchase Norton from the 30 day trial??? I don;t know what to do. And Dell won't help me unless I pay $250 for a 1 year software plan. 

thanks,
Debora

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

December 27th, 2007 15:00

What is the error message you get? Do you have the Windows firewall turned on?

2 Posts

December 27th, 2007 18:00

Thanks for responding.  I spent 2.5 hours with Norton's and they couldn't explain it or fix and just said I have a green check and to just ignore it.

After I log onto my laptop, the Windows Security Center (red shield with white X on it) pops up with the following notification:  "There are multiple security problems with you computer.  Click this notification to fix these problems."

When i do, the Firewall is turned off.  Automatic Updating is ON. Malware Protection reads "Check Settings"  I click on the hot button and I have two subsections that are revealed:  Virus Protection and Spyware and Other Malware Protection. 

Under the Virus Protection there is a statement that reads:  "Windows did not find antivirus software on this computer."  Under that is a link to "Show me my available options"  When I click on it I have two options:

1. I have an antivirus program that I'll monitor myself.  Security Center will not monitor your virus protection and won't send you alerts if its out of date or turned off.
or
2.  Dont monitor my antivirus software state (not recommended).  Security Center will not monitor your virus protection and won't send you alerts if its out of date or turned off.

Also a hot button is there to "Find a Program" which takes you to a web page to purchase antivirus software of which Symantec is one of the options. 

Under the Spyware and Other Malware Protection there is a statement that reads: "Windows defender is turned off."  I can turn it on by the click of a button or click on a link that will show me my available options which are:

1. Go online and get a different antispy ware program
or
2. I have an antispyware program that I'll monitor myself.  Security Center will not monitor your virus protection and won't send you alerts if its out of date or turned off.

I use Windows Vista.   I do have a green check on Norton, but just do not like getting the notification.  It should not do this and ignoring it will be almost impossible for me.

Any suggestions?

Debora

March 16th, 2008 08:00

I have the similar problem...red shield with white x window security alert

i have vista 1521 dell

i signed up with netzero 3G which included norton online free

it antivirus stopped working

netzero told me to uninstall norton and then reinstall norton

now i cant reinstall norton..error messages norton is incompatible with vista or

only administrator can run program

should i reset to restore system

delete yahoo/window msn chat intant mssages or mozilla?????????????????thanks

20.5K Posts

March 16th, 2008 13:00

delete yahoo/window msn chat intant mssages or mozilla?????????????????

I'm not sure what that has to do with reinstalling Norton.

If I were you, I'd run the Norton Removal Tool, to clean out all remnants of the product before you try to reinstall Norton or install another AV.
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
I'm not a fan of AV's provided by ISP's because if you ever decide to change ISP's you're left without protection and you are having to shop around for an anti-virus.
Why not opt to not install what Net Zero provides and install a free anti-virus, a free anti-spyware and a free firewall (If you want one other than the Vista firewall.)?

If you want to do that, let us know, and I'm sure one of the regulars here will provide suggestions on free products. We also have a list at the top of this forum, but it needs to be updated.

1 Message

June 5th, 2008 02:00

I have Norton Antivirus 2008, which also comes with a firewall and spyware protection.  Would installing this on my Dell Inspiron 530 cause a conflict with the Windows Vista firewall?  If so, what would be the best option to remedy the problem?  I currently don't have virus protection on my computer.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

June 5th, 2008 03:00

Hi kaiawe, and welcome to DCF:

I am assuming you have a purchased, but not yet installed copy of Norton Internet Security 2008 (not the standalone Norton Antivirus 2008, which does not include a firewall).

If this asssumption is correct, then there should be no conflict with the Vista firewall; installing NIS 2008 should automatically disable the Windows firewall, thereby avoiding any conflict (one should never have 2 firewalls running concurrently).

I would not delay in installing an Anti-virus... it's a jungle out there!

No Events found!