Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 10th, 2005 00:00

Smitfraud

Please help!  Neither my husband nor I are really tech savvy and his Dimension 2400 has caught that Smitfraud virus.  I've tried to start from Emergency disks, from the original set-up disk that came with the computer, and from Norton Systemworks as an emergency CD.  Nothing works!  It goes as far as the Windows "welcome" screen, then freezes.  It will not respond to "Cntrl+Alt+Del".  The only way we can try to restart it is by shutting off the power, then turning it back on.  I've run the anti-virus part of Norton Systemworks from the CD and it says that it has scanned and found no viruses.  It also says that it will not scan compressed files unless we define the parameters or something.  I have no clue how to do that!  Does anyone have any ideas how I can progress beyond the welcome screen to try to isolate the virus and get rid of it?  By the way...he uses this for his business and has not backed up his files.  I am fairly certain that I can salvage his data from QuickBooks if I can get past the welcome screen (or I could even save the data to a jump drive, then reformat his hard drive if necessary).  This is why I don't want to just reformat the hard drive.  If I can get to System Restore, will it delete his data?  Thanks in advance for your help.--Mamadog531

37 Posts

August 10th, 2005 03:00

Hi, depending on the windows version you are using, you could boot into safe mode by pressing the "F8" key a few times while the computer first turns on.  It will give you a menu of choices for almost all windows versions.  For XP sometimes it shows a list of windows installs and you must select the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" then first try the "Last Known Good Configuration" option first.  If it is successful and boots up, then it should boot normally next time.  If that doesn't work try the "Safe Mode" option, use this option for any other version of windows as well.  This will allow you to scan for viruses, check system files and back up your data if you need.  Good luck. 
No Events found!