Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

April 21st, 2006 21:00

Spyware Doctor VS Webroot's Spy Sweeper

There can be no contesting it, Webroot's Spy Sweeper is fast and more reliable but also less intrusive then Spyware Doctor. Instead of merely removing the cookies or other spyware during navigation with IE it always prompts you "Do you want to continue" if the content is questionable. I'm tired of such a dumb program.

In addition the thing takes freakin a long time to load, even on a Pentium D 830, for cryin out loud it's hilarious. They've really managed to make it a joke.

McAfee also drives one mad, it'll keep prompting you to watch out for whatever cookie or cookie that looks like a trojan is. I mean for crying out loud if the things a cookie and it's not a real virus don't you think when I empty my temp folder it'll erase the thing, yet McAfee keeps insisting it's dangerous. I'm going to kill McAfee AntiVirus.

On one more note, whenver I run Spyware Doctor it finds exactly 24 programs that are considered spyware, even though they're not. And what's worse it'll say 118 removed even though it was supposedly 24!

8.8K Posts

April 22nd, 2006 17:00

I DON'T LIKE EITHER PROGRAM.

Spyware Doctor- I have tried it, the evaluation version only to find that it won't clean what it finds and prompts you to buy the program to remove what it found.

Don't buy that line!!

I am leary of any program with "come-ons" such as that. I do like Webroots product and do use it.

McAfee- Total resourse hog. Runs 7 or more apps when you run that program. Personally I recommend dumping that program, I know you paid for it, and using AVG7 by Grisoft. I love it, it is an excellent FREE program that uses very little system resourses.

That's my opinion only.

Steve

44 Posts

April 23rd, 2006 04:00

Do not believe opinion that Free is the best protection.
Both these programs are Good and recommended to use together.

9 Posts

April 24th, 2006 14:00

When choosing, beware of rogue/suspect Anti-spyware programs.  Must read this before making your decision:

My favorites are:

Firewall - Kerio Personal Firewall
(better than ZoneAlarm)

Anti-Malware - A-Squared
(this is one of the best!)

and others are of course Spyware Doctor and Spy Sweeper (which I run both together on the same system). 
Note:  Spyware doctor hogs lots of memory so be sure to get FreeRam Pro loaded on your system:

No Events found!