Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

July 15th, 2006 09:00

Uninstalling Macafee Security Centre

My 90 day free trial on Macafee has just been expired so I've disabled it's components and switched to AVG/Windows Firewall Instead. Now, I'd like to remove Macafee but I'm not sure how to do it.

Can anyone tell me what steps I should follow.

Regards,
Phil

338 Posts

July 15th, 2006 12:00

Phil;

I just went through the same process with my McAfee. I used this procedure and had no problems: http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/?siteID=1&resolution=1024x768. Click on "How to uninstall Security center'.Be sure and follow the red note procedure. I also disabled each program before I uninstalled it. Left Security Center until last. I never had to do the last set of instructions. I also did an file/folder seach after uninstall and deleted a couple of empty folders. Be sure and and have your new Anti-Virus and firewall ready to install after you uninstall McAfee so you don't leave your system unprotected.

Message Edited by Evermore on 07-15-200608:35 AM

36 Posts

July 15th, 2006 19:00

Thanks very much for your quick reply - I have one furthe question. In my add/remove programs screen in Control Panel, the only Macafee entry is 'Macafee Uninstaller'. Before I take any action, do you know if 'removing' this by pressing the Change/Remove button is the correct thing to do, or am I just going to remove the uninstall component this way? Basically, I'm asking is this the correct component to remove in order to get rid of all Macafee Security Centre? Many thanks.

338 Posts

July 16th, 2006 16:00

Phil;

If I remember right, I think when you click the mcAfee uninstaller another window will come up with all the installed programs listed and checked. When you start uninstalling them uncheck the programs that you don't want to uninstall, just leave the one checked that you want to uninstall. You can go ahead and click the uninstall button and see what you have. It will asked you are you sure you want to uninstall this program. You can observe first to see what you have. Uninstall just one program at a time as the instructions state. Follow the prompts. Good luck.

36 Posts

July 16th, 2006 18:00

OK, operation successfully completed. Many thanks for your help. Everything seems to run twice as fast with new anti-virus and Windows firewall.

Thanks again,
Phil

338 Posts

July 16th, 2006 18:00

Good to hear. That's what I discovered, after I got rid of McAfee.
No Events found!