Start a Conversation

Unsolved

5.8K Posts

November 19th, 2019 15:00

Updates Nov. 19, 2019 Malwarebytes 4.0.x

“We have just released a new Component update for your product, version 4.0.4.49 v1.0.750.

As you know, if you don't want to wait, go right ahead and retrieve the update manually by clicking "Check for updates" under Application Updates in Settings > General. 

What is new in this version:

Performance/protective capability

•  Simple UI enhancements 

Stability/issues fixed

• Fixed: UI is blank when opened / blank UI when mbam.exe is launched
  • Fixed: Staggered text under certain circumstances
  • Fixed: WAC in w7 incorrectly reports MB4 as off / Incorrect MB4 status reported in WSC
  • Fixed: Self-Protection Early Start prevents Windows Firewall Control UI from opening
  • Addressed numerous other miscellaneous defects”

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/253227-announcing-malwarebytes-40-for-windows/?tab=comments#comment-1345938

Comment: I've only used MB4.x for a few weeks on my Win 7 Pro test laptop only, and have encountered no problems so far, including with this update (which has to be manually downloaded and installed). I'm not comfortable installing it on my workhorse systems yet, as some are reporting problems in the MB forum.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

November 20th, 2019 04:00

Joe,

Have you noticed any change (e.g., delay) in bootup time?

I'm assuming you've not encountered any overall "sluggishness" in real-time performance.

(I haven't tested this on any primary system either.)

1 Message

November 20th, 2019 05:00

Thank you for the information. Yes, the "handy improved Malwarebytes 4.0" broke my Dell Inspiron 15. The 3.8 version had no issues. I decided it was a compatibility issue, reported it to MB support.

I chose to ignore Microsoft's invitation to wipe and reinstall everything on my laptop. Malwarebytes folks wanted logs and screenshots which I couldn't supply (the issues you describe above cover my definition of "breaking.)

I uninstalled MB 4.0 updated Chrome, reinstalled MB 4.0 without the Premium Trial.  No further issues except a bit of wonkiness (e.g., screen time on reboot) I can live with until the grown ups iron out their differences.

Lesson learned. I'm neither luddite nor techie; I use computers,  I know when something "breaks."  Things break. Repeatedly. 

Windows updates, breaks stuff for home users. I check forums b/c you folks (thank you) verify there are compatibility issues.

I now pause all but security updates on Windows (10;) every fancy new update causes chaos. 

Prefer not to pay for MB when plebeian me can address most things, with the feedback these forums provide.

I appreciate the reality check.  

5.8K Posts

November 20th, 2019 14:00

ky331

I don't recall testing bootup times since installing MB4. Certainly my system and browsers in general have not slowed down. I don't run a lot of programs on my test system, but do have my full complement of security products as listed in my Sig, and they all coexist nicely. Firefox, Pale Moon and IE are used for casual searches only, and news reading. I have no sensitive/financial links on this test system.

I've always considered Free Cell (the XP version) as a bellwether for a slowing system, and it remains as fast as ever.

But judging what I'm reading in the MB forum, I don't think MB4 is quite ready for prime time.

5.8K Posts

January 2nd, 2020 19:00

Just getting caught up, to add that MB4x Premium has worked well with my Win10 Pro systems for many weeks now. I have no reservations in recommending it (free or paid version) without reservations.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

January 20th, 2020 09:00

I finally updated to MBAM 4.x (premium).

My impression is that my system is booting up a little slower, but I'm not in a position to quantify this... just a "gut feel".

That aside, MBAM 4 seems to be working without any (other) obvious glitches.

No Events found!