Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 12th, 2010 22:00

Updates for Patch Tuesday 7/13/10

This topic is for anyone who would like to discuss a specific update.

Feel free to post daily reminders of updates and version changes for some of the most popular security programs such as: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Spybot, and others.

Free security programs are listed here: FREE SECURITY SOFTWARE

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

July 13th, 2010 05:00

This one was actually released last month (June)... but we apparently missed it.   If you desire this update, you have to go directly to the download page (link cited below)... I don't believe it appears under Windows Updates (even "custom").  

DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer

Overview

Microsoft DirectX is a group of technologies designed to make Windows-based computers an ideal platform for running and displaying applications rich in multimedia elements such as full-color graphics, video, 3D animation, and rich audio. DirectX includes security and performance updates, along with many new features across all technologies, which can be accessed by applications using the DirectX APIs.
Available for most operating system configurations --- see entire list for details

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

July 13th, 2010 05:00

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

July 13th, 2010 06:00

an important reminder/consideration for today:

one of the expected updates is supposed to be Microsoft's official/final response to the XP help-center vulnerability, which has been around for almost a month.   Microsoft had released a "work-around" a few weeks ago.    We'll have to determine whether we need to UNdo the workaround first, before applying today's windows update... or whether it's okay to apply today's update "over" a system that's enabled the workaround.

if anyone has some definitive information/answer here...

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

July 13th, 2010 10:00

The following details are now available (an hour before I expected them)...  and the updates themselves were released "on time" --- 1 p.m. Eastern USA Daylight Saving Time.

MS10-042 [Critical] Vulnerability in Help and SupportCenter Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2229593)

MS10-043 [Critical] Vulnerability in Canonical Display Driver Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2032276)

MS10-044 [Critical] Vulnerabilities in Microsoft Office Access ActiveX Controls Could Allow Remote Code Execution (982335)

MS10-045 [Important] Vulnerability in Microsoft Office Outlook Could Allow Remote Code Execution (978212)

Please note:   I still don't have the definitive answer on whether we are supposed to undo the work-around before applying update MS10-042 to fix the Help Center Vulnerability.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

July 13th, 2010 10:00

The Malicous Software Removal Tool (MRT) for July, cited above, adds detection/removal of

Win32/Bubnix - "a generic detection for a kernel-mode driver installed by other malware that hides its presence on an affected computer ["rootkit"] by blocking registry and file access to itself. The trojan may report its installation to a remote server, download and distribute spam e-mail messages and could download and execute arbitrary files".

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

July 13th, 2010 12:00

Just located the following information/advice on UNdoing the "FixIt":

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vistawu/thread/b73edfcb-f7d1-429c-8d16-9c6d73d73a54

"TIP - Download both Fix Its (i.e., #50459 & #50460), saving them to a new folder on your desktop. Then run Fix It #50459. When MS releases an update to address the vulnerability, you will need to run "undo" Fix It #50460 before you'll be able to install the update.

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft"

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

July 13th, 2010 17:00

A more direct link to Fixit #50459 & #50460:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2229593

(Now if I could only remember if I installed the first Fixit!)

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

July 13th, 2010 17:00

Joe (and anyone else who's willing to take a look into their registry)...

I believe the following is the criteria (assuming my result is typical of what it does for all XP users):

if you use RegEdit to maneuver your way to

HKEY_Classes_Root\HCP

if it has no "sub keys" under it, then you've applied the first fixit, 50459

but if it has "sub keys" SHELL, then OPEN, then COMMAND under it... where COMMAND contains a default entry ending 

\HelpCtr.exe" -FromHCP -url "%1"

then you have NOT applied the first fixit 50459 (or you've already UNdone it by applying 50460)

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

July 13th, 2010 22:00

Excellent info, as usual- thanks ky.

I must have run that Fixit workaround, as I had no subkeys to HKEY_Classes_Root\HCP; I ran the second  "disable" Fixit (#50460) which restored the subkeys exactly as you described.

The Help Center patch (kb2229593) subsequently installed without any glitches.

:emotion-21:

No Events found!