Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

MC

November 17th, 2003 20:00

Virus not detected by Norton or McAfee

I recently received an email from a friend who advised that my system may have been infected by a virus that is not detected by either of these antivirus products. The name of the virus is "jdbgmgr.exe" which has a teddy bear icon on the c drive. Apparently it sits idle for 14 days before damaging the system - I have not received any explanation of what the damage is. It apparently is sent automatically be messenger and by the address book whether or not you have sent any emails to your contacts. I have this file on my c drive.  

I have been advised not to open it but to delete it and to pass the delete instructions on to everyone in your address book. It seems odd that the virus has updates in 2002 and 2003 but neither antivirus software is able to detect it!!

My questions : 1) Is anyone aware of this virus 2) what damage does it cause - my system has slowed considerably 3) should this file be deleted as suggested?   

2K Posts

This is about a 3 year old hoax. Jdbgmgr.exe is the Java Debug manager, and is a valid MS file.

453 Posts

Jdbgmgr.exe file hoax

Message Edited by Chik on 11-17-2003 04:58 PM

1.4K Posts

November 19th, 2003 03:00

It should be mentioned that an, "email from a friend" about the perils of some virus is the absolute, dead-last way you will ever be so informed of a real threat.  These are almost always a hoax and should always be checked out thoroughly (as you did) before making a change to your system.
No Events found!