Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 19th, 2015 11:00

Windows 10

I was wondering when would be a good time for me to consider updating to windows 10. I see its always listed  in my monthly updates but always shows failed which I'm thankful. I also have the windows icon in my task bar showing update to windows 10. When It's time what would be the best way to get the download? If anyone has suggestion on the subject, information  would be appreciated.

338 Posts

September 21st, 2015 08:00

Thanks BugBatter, Good detailed information. I will save your information. I will give Microsoft a little more time than I will update.

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

September 20th, 2015 03:00

Hi Evermore,

I am enjoying Windows 10 on two computers, but have not upgraded all in the house yet.

Windows 10 is being rolled out in waves for computers that are ready. If you are seeing the prompt about Windows 10 the first thing to do is to go to your OEM's list of compatible hardware and make sure your computer(s) is(are)  compatible. Do this regardless of what Windows tells you. Lists for most brands are here: http://spywarehammer.com/index.php/topic,16321.0.html  You may want to check for your printer's compatibility as well.

If your computer is not compatible, change your setting at Windows Update so that you do not receive your updates automatically. While you are at Windows Update, Uncheck and hide the entry to upgrade to Windows 10. You can unhide it and reconfigure your update schedule if and when your computer is compatible.

After you have upgraded, you will see that there are default settings that you might want to change. They seem to be hiding everywhere! Take some time to review them. Privacy and Windows Update settings in the Home Edition can be changed, but it takes time.

After you have upgraded here are some things to do:
www.thewindowsclub.com/things-to-do-after-you-upgrade-to-windows-10
(Ignore ads and the "Click here to fix Windows errors" on that page.)

If you are not thrilled about Windows downloading drivers for you, you can change that as well. See: http://cmdrkeene.com/windows-10-tip-block-automatic-driver-updates-keep-security-patches-flowing

The Pro Edition allows even more configurations using the Group Policy Editor.

You can, of course, run Windows 10 with the default settings, but some of us like to tweak things to our liking.

Having said all that, I will add that Windows 10 is a work in progress. You have a year from last July to upgrade, so there is no immediate hurry to do so. Free help from Microsoft is available at the Microsoft Community Forums ('Microsoft Answers"), as well as from @MicrosoftHelps and @WindowsSupport on Twitter.

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

September 21st, 2015 19:00

You are most welcome. :emotion-1:

3 Posts

September 25th, 2015 10:00

I have a new Dell Inspiron that came with Windows 10 already loaded.  But I had a 7 year old Acer with only 2 MB RAM that was very slow with Windows 7.  Before disposing of it I installed the upgrade to Windows 10. I then removed personal files and internet history, temp files etc.  Performance was noticeably improved.  I donated it as a working unit to a children's charity rather than just scrapping it for parts.

No Events found!