Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 18th, 2014 06:00

Windows 8 and McAfee Firewall

I want to buy a Dell Inspiron Windows 8 laptop..  It comes with a 1-month McAfee trial.  I already have 11 months' McAfee Anti-Virus Plus subscription left on  old XP  which I will no longer use. 

I am not computer literate so I thought I would keep the 1-month Trial Version on new Window 8 for a few weeks until I get used to the new OS. Would this be the correct procedure at the change over point?.

1.  Uninstall 1-month McAfee Trial version from new Windows 8 laptop.

2.  Download  my own McAfee Account on to  the new Windows 8 - click 'Deactivate' the old XP  and then click 'Download'  in order to put the Anti-Virus Plus on to the Windows 8.

3.  Then, uninstall Anti-Virus Plus from old XP. 

Your advice would be much appreciated.

3 Posts

March 26th, 2014 05:00

Hi NOLLEEE,

Below instructions are from MacAfee website, this is what I even had done 

1. From your old computer (if it is still available), uninstall your McAfee software using the Windows Control Panel.

NOTE: You must remove McAfee software from the old computer or it will constitute piracy.
  2. From the computer you want to install your software to, open a web browser and go to MacAfee website
  3. Log in using the email address and password you registered with. 

If you do not have a McAfee account, select New User? Register Now, follow the prompts to create your McAfee account, then click Log In.

NOTE: If you would like the McAfee website to remember your username select Remember Me.
  4. Click the (+) icon.
  5. Select the computer and click Download.
  6. Follow the on-screen instructions, and restart your computer when prompted.

Good Luck!

7 Posts

March 26th, 2014 06:00

Hello  Netcrazy

Thank you for taking the trouble to provide this good information, but  I have now decided to keep old computer and buy a second  McAfee licence so that both computers are covered.   It will only cost about 13 dollars on top of my present  subscription fee.   According to McAfee, I have to do the following in this order:

1. Purchase 1 extra licence  through my McAfee Account

2..Uninstall 1-month free Dell/McAfee Trial from new Dell computer.

3. Then, DOWNLOAD  the Security directly to new Dell Computer according to the instructions..    

As a matter of interest, the old computer is an XP which will no longer be supported by Microsoft Updates so it  will just be used it for browsing the internet or watching films, but not for email or banking. transactions and it will not hold any Documents.

Best wishes,

Nolleee

7 Posts

March 26th, 2014 07:00

Hello Bugbatter

This is interesting.   However, will  Firewall alone be sufficient as  I thought that Windows recommended getting extra security.  Also, will there be Windows Firewall on the old XP if it is no longer supported.

Nolleee

20.5K Posts

March 26th, 2014 07:00

It will only cost about 13 dollars on top of my present  subscription fee.   According to McAfee, I have to do the following in this order:

1. Purchase 1 extra licence  through my McAfee Account

Why don't you just use the FREE Windows firewall that will be installed on your new computer?

20.5K Posts

March 26th, 2014 08:00

Your new Windows 8 laptop will come with Microsoft's Windows firewall and Window 8's Defender (anti-virus/anti-spyware) as part of Windows. If you want to add anything else, I suggest Malwarebytes Free version for on-demand scanning or Premium version for realtime protection and a few other features offered in that version. It works well along with Windows firewall and Windows Defender. https://www.malwarebytes.org/

If you are taking the XP offline, it won't need a firewall or antivirus, but if you continue to use it online, you still have the option to use Microsoft's free firewall and a free anti-virus. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-xp/help/networking/using-windows-firewall

7 Posts

March 27th, 2014 05:00

Thank you Bugbatter.  I am ashamed to say that I did not know that Windows 8 came with this new package.  I shall check your links and consider my options.  

No Events found!