Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 29th, 2009 18:00

mcfee DOS scan report "could not open file"

I am using mcafee security center on a dell xps 400 with windows vista. I recently ran a DOS scan in safe mode and saved the scan log since you can't see 1 otherwise. My question is that a lot of files could not be opened, and these were standard user files as well as some admn files, that included temp internet, music, video.. does anyone know if this is a premission problem or something else..

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 29th, 2009 20:00

Hi Irktou,

"McAfee's installed scanner has more permissions and abilities to scan your computer when compared to the command line scanner."

See post #17 onwards HERE.

64 Posts

October 9th, 2009 17:00

Thanks for the link greatly appreciated.  Since you seem well connected with the community form of Mcafee I hope you don't mind me asking an open question.  I have Mcafee securities center it used to show PUP and give me the option to delete them but since our reinstalled it is no longer available as a standard with the new Mac iffy security center.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 10th, 2009 07:00

Hi Irktou,

Potentially unwanted program (PUP)
A software program that might be unwanted, despite the possibility that users consented to download it. It can alter the security or the privacy settings of the computer on which it is installed. PUPs can — but does not necessarily — include spyware, adware, and dialers, and might be downloaded with a program that the user wants.

You can test McAfee is functioning properly by clicking the link below and downloading the BlueScreen Screen Saver v3.2.

The download is from Microsoft Technet and is totally harmless, McAfee and most probably a lot of other Antivirus' flag it simply because it is sometimes bundled with malware/trojans to convince users that their systems are experiencing BSOD's.

Unzip the file after download and double click on SysinternalsBlueScreen.scr. I've just tested it on my system and McAfee detects it as a potentially unwanted program (PUP).

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897558.aspx

1 Message

October 31st, 2009 19:00

WHY CANT  MCAFEE OPEN THIS FILE

No Events found!