Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 31st, 2022 03:00

stop McAfee download notifications

I just got my new XPS a week ago and uninstalled McAfee because I have another anti-virus software. I keep constantly getting Dell notifications to download my McAfee software, which are totally annoying. How can I get rid of those notifications? TIA

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 31st, 2022 15:00

How did you uninstall McAfee? Did you use their own removal tool (method 2) for the most complete removal?

Have you looked in Windows Task Scheduler to see if there are any McAfee tasks scheduled? Open Task Scheduler and click Task Scheduler Library at left and look in right pane. Disable any McAfee tasks.

Then click the McAfee folder under Task Scheduler Library (if it's listed) and disable all McAfee tasks there too.

Next, open Task Manager and look for any McAfee processes that may be running and disable them too.

5 Posts

December 31st, 2022 16:00

Thanks for the suggestions RoHe. No sign of McAfee anywhere. I uninstalled using Revo, which first took me to the McAfee uninstaller, and then led me to left over folders and keys. I haven't checked the registry, but there are no McAfee files or folders anywhere I can find on the C drive. This actually looks to me like a Dell notification: telling me to download files for my new computer that are available with my purchase. The best I can do is to snooze the notifications for an hour. There is no way to disable the notification that I can see. I tried opening it in hopes that it would allow me to download McAfee and then shut up, but it wants to install it, which is not going to happen.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 31st, 2022 17:00

One more place to look for McAfee junk is in Start>Run>services.msc. If you find anything there, just set its Startup type to disabled.

You could also try disabling Dell Update and SupportAssist.  They're not essential and you can always check manually for updates using your Service Tag (don't post it here) on the Support site.

5 Posts

January 2nd, 2023 03:00

Thanks for the suggestions. I have, at least for now, stopped getting notifications, so I will keep your suggestion in mind if they return

No Events found!