Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 7th, 2012 10:00

uTorrent messed up my Laptop and I can't even go back to factory settings

Hi there, I recently bought a new Dell XPS laptop L702X running Windows 7 64-bit. I installed a terrible program, uTorrent, on my computer and my pc has never worked correctly since. If I open up any browser, I cannot type in the word "torrent" in the search screen without it causing the search engine to say that the page cannot be loaded. Now my Java is all messed up as well and no matter how many times I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it, it won't work. I can't open my email, and it seems the computer is systematically breaking down. It has gotten so bad that I restored my computer "back to factory settings" but even that doesn't fix the problems. My antivirus is Mcaffey and hasn't detected any viruses. I have also run numerous anti-malware programs (CCleaner, Advanced SystemCare, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, etc,) but nothing finds any problems. Any idea what the problem is? Thanks so much in advance. I have spent weeks trying to fix this to no avail. Thanks, Brian

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

May 7th, 2012 11:00

It's hard to say whether you have a software issue --- that uTorrent [or perhaps something else] damaged some critical system files --- or whether you have a hardware issue, since doing a "back to factory settings" should take care of just about any software issue.

My suggestion is that you should consider software/malware issues first.   Unfortunately, Dell no longer allows malware analysis/repair at their forum.

Please follow the directions at http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=12262.0 to register and post the requested logs at spywarehammer.com ; there are expert helpers there who can "walk you through" procedures to analyze your system, and clean-up the infection (if one is still present).   All help provided there is FREE.   If you decide to go for help there, please wait for a response, and do NOT attempt to run any other scans/removers on your own --- do exactly what they instruct you to do, no more, no less.

Good luck!

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

May 7th, 2012 12:00

Hi Brian,

Please follow ky331's advice to post at SpywareHammer. SpywareHammer will ask you to remove all torrents and P2P file sharing software before they handle your case. I'm sure it is obvious to you now why they require that.

Best of luck in getting your issue resolved.

No Events found!