Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

March 15th, 2018 15:00

Vostro 3900, BIOS update failed

I have three Vostro 3900 PCs in office; two updated successfully using A14 BIOS update executable, but one failed.  For the one that failed, it reports "Updated Failed! 'Error message: Problem opening file for reading.'"  I tried booting via FreeDOS (on USB flash drive) and executing the A14 BIOS update; it failed again with "ERROR: BIOS ROM file (Gen-X00.cap) not found!"  As a last resort, I reset the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery, but still encountered the same error.  Any thoughts on why this error is occurring and how it can be resolved?  Thanks in advance

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 16th, 2018 17:00

Did the PC boot to Windows after you cleared BIOS by removing the battery, even if you can't update to A14?

Is it possible you had a bad download of the .exe file on the system that failed?

Was the BIOS A14 .exe on the flash drive or on the hard drive in that PC? It probably has to be on the flash drive to run.

Did Dell's SupportAssist offer the update to you or did you just do it on your own?

Unless it still boots, you may need a new motherboard. Is this PC under warranty?

You should contact Dell tech support ASAP, even if the warranty expired. They will replace the motherboard if it's still under warranty, and they may be willing to replace the motherboard if SupportAssist offered the update to you.

2 Posts

March 17th, 2018 18:00

Yes, the PC booted to Windows after BIOS was cleared by battery removal.

I don't think the downloaded .exe is bad since I tried another A14 executable that was downloaded on another Vostro 3900.

I have run the A14 executable from Windows 7 and from FreeDOS (via USB flash drive boot); in both cases, BIOS update failed.

Yes, Dell's SupportAssist offered the update.

Unfortunately, PC is not under warranty.  I will try contacting Dell tech support to see if what can be done.  Take care and thanks much for the reply.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 18th, 2018 15:00

Glad it booted after clearing BIOS. So at least the motherboard didn't get bricked.

What's different between the systems that updated and the one that failed? All running Win 7? Logged into accounts with admin privileges?

Did you run chkdsk on the hard drive in the problem Vostro?

Was the A14 .exe on the USB stick?

Did you disconnect all peripherals, except mouse, monitor and keyboard?

10 Posts

December 18th, 2019 06:00

Hello!  Looks like you had the same problem I myself WAS having, but with my Inspiron system.  I resolved my last night, and so might be able to assist you too, if you still have the system, or possibly you were able to later update with no issues.

Cheers,

Greg

April 12th, 2020 10:00

How were you able to fix this on your inspiron. I have a 3847 motherboard with a i5-4440 and i upgraded to a i7-4790K. I installed the latest bios for the inspiron 3847 which is A11, but when i install the 4790K the system wont boot on. the fans only turn on about a second. I put my old cpu back in and am trying to downgrade BIOS to get the i7-4790K to work. Thats where i get the ERROR: BIOS rom file (gen-x00.cap) not found. and solution to this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 12th, 2020 12:00

@sneekybeaver  - I wouldn't risk trying to downgrade BIOS. It might not fix the problem and could permanently brick your motherboard. Put the original CPU back. Be sure to clean both surfaces and apply a thin coat of fresh thermal paste between CPU and heat sink. Then read this for BIOS recovery options.

Have you searched these forums to see if anyone has been able to use that exact CPU with the Inspiron 3847 motherboard? It's possible BIOS doesn't support the i7-4790K CPU, meaning that CPU just isn't going to work with this motherboard.

April 12th, 2020 13:00

yes i saw a thread where someone got it to work, but i cant find nearly any guides with this motherboard and i am getting really frusterated. I Appreciate your fast reply though. also i didnt understand a word of that bios recovery page and in the faq im pretty sure my motherboard isnt even stated as compatible with the bios recovery. What other things could be wrong making the i7-4790K not work?

April 12th, 2020 14:00

also i just reread your last message and bios update went smoothly before i tried putting in the new cpu for the first time. after trying and it not working, i put the old cpu in and tried to revert the bios back, which is what ended up not working. motherboard still good just gotta figure out why this damn chip wont work. i know its compatible with this motherboard. 

alright ive kinda jumped the gun ive been struggling with this for hours. I already took out and put back in the motherboard battery, and ive tried using a usb to recovery the same version (A11) and a older version of bios using the rufus application. Still same outcome. I know the motherboard isnt bricked everything is fine when i put in my old cpu. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated im going nuts here? If you need pictures or anything feel free to ask. The rest of my setup is a rx 580 4gb, 16gb ddr3 ram, 600w evga power supply.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

I linked the Service Manual below. If your BIOS update failed, no CPU is going to work, unless you can recover from the update failure. So best to put in the CPU you know was working in this motherboard before you updated.

Then try clearing BIOS:

1. Reboot and immediately start tapping F2 to open BIOS setup
  2. Copy down all current BIOS settings - this assumes you can open BIOS setup...
  3. Power off, unplug
  4. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  5. Open case and remove motherboard battery (check Service Manual for details)
  6. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  7. Reinstall the battery (time for a fresh CR2032 3-volt coin cell battery?)
  8. Close up and connect mouse, monitor and keyboard
  9. Reboot

If that doesn't help, try following "How do I create an external USB key to perform BIOS Recovery on my Dell computer or tablet?" at the link I provided above. Just follow it step by step...

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 12th, 2020 16:00

@sneekybeaver  - Now I'm confused... 

Are you saying the updated version of BIOS works correctly once you reinstalled the original CPU and the PC boots to the desktop with that CPU installed?

If my understanding is correct, maybe you just got a bum CPU, since you say others have installed the same i7-4790K CPU in this model PC. Is the i7 new or used..?

And please watch your words...this is a family-oriented forum and certain words don't belong here...thank you.

April 12th, 2020 17:00

@RoHe  didnt realize that word was prohibited lol my b

yes when i put the i5-4440 back in the pc it boots fine, but when i put the i7-4790K in the fans and lights turn on a moment, then immediately off. I bought it off ebay where it said it was pulled from a working system. I hope the chip being damaged isnt the case, but i cant really figure anything else stopping it from working.

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

April 12th, 2020 20:00

speedstep upgraded to i7-4790k in his Inspiron 3847 in 2015 before BIOS A09 was released. there is no need to update to A11.  but it would be strange that an updated bios does not support a cpu when the old bios did.  What version of bios was on your board before update?

https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/Dell-inspiron-3847-cpu-upgrade/td-p/4482236

April 13th, 2020 02:00

@redxps630  i believe the previos bios was A1 but i may be mistaken. I hadn't updated it since i first installed my old i5-4440.

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

April 13th, 2020 04:00

I do not know much of bios because it is halfway between human realm and machine world.  have heard multiple advices not to flash bios across large ver. gap. e.g., not good idea to flash from A1 straight to A11.  safer to do A1 to A5, then A5 to A11.  I am interested in understanding why but have not found good explanation.

No Events found!