Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

10 Posts

August 4th, 2019 08:00

Vostro 470, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti, issues

I have a Vostro 470, it's an I7. 

It had a Radeon HD 7570 that was working OK, but I wanted something faster. The computer itself is ok, I am currently playing through Fallout 4 on it with the Radeon and that was working OK, just not the greatest performance.

I read this thread where it said an Nvidia GTX 1050 TI would probably work and that is a fast card and is pretty cheap now.

https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/Graphics-Card-Upgrade-Question-for-Vostro-...

So I ordered one. Received it and put it in, installed the driver disk that came with it instead of the newest one. I know, I know, but I had no luck with the online driver from Nvidia's site- BSOD!

So I rolled back to the included driver disk. That one worked.

Well, until Fallout 4 launched. The music plays, it puts up menus and allows you to click to start the game, normal. But then when the game is supposed to commence I get the message "Nvidia Kernel Mode Driver has stopped responding and has recovered" 

Crashes out of the game. It happens 100% of the time, I turned the resolution way down, that didn't make a difference. The computer seems to work ok except for the game, I am typing this on it. It can stream video in chrome, no problems. 

There's a big thread on the Nvidia forums about the problem, I looked at some of the suggested solutions but none worked for me. 

Here's that thread. 
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/524583/geforce-drivers/nvidia-kernel-mode-driver-has-stoppe...

The thing about the 1050TI is the card is pretty low power so I didn't change the PS in the Vostro 470, but I could. This card does not have a 6 pin power connector. 75W, supposedly.

Is it just too far for the Vostro 470, should I try something less powerful in that? Or do you think this is a driver problem? I suspect a driver problem.  

I understand that computer shipped with these video cards. 
1GB AMD RADEON™ HD7570 
2GB DDR5 AMD RADEON™ HD7770 
1GB nVidia Geforce™ GT640 
1GB nVidia Geforce™ GT620

But I'm trying the 1050TI right now. 

Any suggestions? I'd like this to work. I have the very latest BIOS. A14, I think. I knnw there is nothing newer.

10 Posts

August 4th, 2019 09:00

Well, it turns out this Nvidia card is fake. Ebay and Amazon are full of the same cards. Some with one fan, some with two. Crazy. 

According to the system information It has 192 Cuda cores, when a real 1050TI has more like 768. 

China.
Why do they think it's OK to do that kind of stuff? I have no idea. 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 23rd, 2019 09:00

I suspect that the 1050TI card is indeed a fake card.

Thats also why the driver did not work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc6gDaXD1us

There are zero issues with real 1050TI and the Vostro and windows 7 or 8 or 10.

10 Posts

May 5th, 2020 22:00

Just to pass on information,

I now have a Zotac GTX 970 running in a vostro 470, and it's working great.
I do have a higher power PS in that system.
I have one other Vostro 470 that I would like to get a video card for, it has the stock Radeon.
I wonder if a GTX 1650 would work. That's not really that much faster benchmark than the GTX 970 which is a very high performance gaming card. It has no problem with fallout four or any other game. The GTX 1650 is probably slower than the GTX 970
I may just see about finding another GTX 970. 

No Events found!