Start a Conversation

Unsolved

DR

4 Posts

February 23rd, 2019 22:00

BIOS Update wont work Dell g7 7588

So i want to upgrade my bios to 1.9.0 from 1.6.1 but it doesnt work, when i double click it nothings happen and when i tried from bootable usb it got this message error,can someone help? i cant play games bcs the framerate keeps dropping. "Firmware Update Failed. Rebooting your system"

9.4K Posts

February 25th, 2019 08:00

Hi Daffa Rivaldi,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Here is information from the Dell Driver page you may find helpful:

Dell G5 5587/G7 7588 and Vostro 7580 System BIOS

Updating the BIOS from the BIOS Boot Menu (independent of operating system)
1. Copy the downloaded file to a USB drive. The USB drive does not need to be bootable device.
2. Insert the USB drive into any USB port.
3. Power on the system.
4. At the DELL logo screen, press F12 to access the one-time boot menu.
5. Select BIOS Flash Update in the Other Options section. 
6. Click the ... button to browse the USB drive to locate the downloaded file.
7. Select the file and click Ok.
8. Verify the existing system BIOS information and the BIOS update information.
9. Click Begin Flash Update.
10. Review the Warning message and click Yes to proceed with the update.
The system restarts and displays a Flash Progress bar at the Dell logo screen. The system restarts again when the Flash update is complete.

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty or this is a software issue, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

18 Posts

February 25th, 2019 19:00

Same here on a Dell G5 5587.

It fails under Dell "Support Assist" ........Failed.

Then when trying to use Bios to flash. "Failed and rebooting."

February 25th, 2019 23:00

I Already tried this before, still doesnt work

February 25th, 2019 23:00

exactly same like me

18 Posts

February 26th, 2019 15:00

Hi

I managed to get Dell on line.

He tried all kind of methods to get version 1.8 and 1.9 installed. He did not succeed. Failed every time.

Now a Dell engineer is being send out to exchange MB.

18 Posts

February 27th, 2019 08:00

Hi

I do have appointment for tomorrow, for MB service exchange.

18 Posts

February 28th, 2019 04:00

Hello

It did not work, still doing as with previous MB.

Dell is escalating to next level of support. Dell will contact me in 24hrs turn around time.

18 Posts

March 1st, 2019 10:00

Hi all

They did contact me today 01-03-2019. Still no resolution.

They will contact me coming Monday. Keep you posted on this problem.

March 9th, 2019 09:00

I'm experiencing the same problem. I did what Dell's guys said but the problem persists.

9.4K Posts

March 11th, 2019 03:00

Hi geraldoandradee,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

If you've followed the above steps and you still aren't able to install the update, then please run a systems diagnostics.  Run Dell SupportAssist make a note of any error messages encountered and post back.  If there are none, then it may indicate a software or driver issue.

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

7 Posts

March 19th, 2019 18:00

I had the same problem earlier, but there is a solution. Download the BIOS from the dell website and put it on a flash drive. From the flash drive, click on the bios and run it while windows is still on (do not turn off computer). When this happens, the bios will attempt to update but never really shows any signs of it other than creating a folder on a flash drive that has a text file called log. Open this text file and see where a file is trying to be executed, and go to the location of that file. Extract that file (it should still be compressed) and then try clicking on the bios and running it from the flash drive again. Now, a pop up with broken graphics emerges and asks if you if you want to update. Say yes, and then it works. Don't get scared of the broken graphics on the pop-up, the update worked for me. The only weird thing is that the laptop dell update programs still think the bios hasn't updated, except everything else can see that the bios has now updated to 1.9.0.

Please reply if my method worked or not for you all.

1 Message

March 27th, 2019 15:00

Hello, I had the exact same problem on a G5 5587, which shares the same BIOS files with the G7. The problem is resolved by flashing from Windows, too bad that I wanted to have a linux-only computer. Lucky me I tried to upgrade the BIOS before removing the preinstalled Windows. That is, the problem only affects the BIOS flashing procedure from the BIOS itself (F12 boot menu at POST, then menu entry "BIOS Flash Update": it doesn't work), while doubleclicking on the .exe file of the BIOS from within Windows, works. It seems to me that it is a filesize problem: BIOS versions up to 1.6.1 have filesizes of 7 MB BIOS versions 1.8.0 and 1.9.0 have filesizes of 13 MB Bios 1.6.1 is capable of flashing itself but fails immediately if it is given version 1.8.0 or 1.9.0 which are bigger. Once you are able to upgrade to 1.9.0 leveraging Windows, such version 1.9.0 is again capable of flashing itself (without Windows). I would bet 1.8.0 is probably capable of flashing 1.9.0 and vice versa but I have not tried. So Dell should provide an intermediate BIOS version 1.6.2 or 1.7.0 with filesize 7 MB but capable of flashing a BIOS of larger size. Unfortunately, for Windows a LiveCD does not exist, and it's not free of charge either, so not providing a working BIOS-based flasher is a significant problem that Dell should address. Alternatively they could create a Linux-based flasher which can work from a LiveCD.

1 Message

September 24th, 2020 05:00

Couldn't find the log file and the zip to attempt update on windows.

I looked for it manually on "C:/dell" and in "%temp" but no luck

What can i do ?

No Events found!