Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

11 Posts

February 6th, 2021 07:00

Charging Vostro 7500 through USB-C

Hello, bought udb-c 90W charger, but its not charging.

So my question is:

1. do I need stronger charger (130W) or

2. does the Vostro 7570 generally support charging through USB-C?

• and finally

3. on the DELL Commercial Docking Compatibility list there is info that it is compatible with WD19 / WD19S - 180W with 130W Power Delivery. How it's done? Through USB-C?

regards, Dominik

Spoiler

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 6th, 2021 09:00

@faustthedog  Ok, just to confirm, when you connect that charger, the system still sees an actual AC power source connected, correct?  The message saying "System not charging" could just mean that the system isn't increasing the charge level of the battery.  But it could still be using the USB-C power source to run itself.  The other possibility that would occur if the system didn't support USB-C power at all would be that the system just kept running on battery power and didn't even detect that a power source was attached.  That is a different situation.  I have a system designed for 135W and when I connect my 90W power source, I get a "slow charger" warning.

But if your system is detecting that power source and simply not charging the battery when it is connected, then that is probably because you are using a 90W source with a system designed for 130W.  The issue there is that 130W is actually above the official max of the USB PD spec (100W).  Dell did something proprietary on some of its systems and docks to run 130W, but you won't find that available on third party chargers.  The WD19 180W and WD19S 180W will provide 130W to attached systems.  And Dell also makes a basic 130W USB-C charger.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@faustthedog  Is the system detecting the USB-C power source as an actual power source, or does it not detect it at all?  Even if the system is designed for a 130W power source, it should still be able to use a lower wattage power source, although you might see slower battery charging or reduced performance.

In your thread subject you mentioned a Vostro 7500, but in your post you asked about a 7570.  Which system do you actually have?

Yes, all of the WD19 dock family models charge via USB-C/TB3.

11 Posts

@jphughanthx for reply. Ina fact, i have bistro 7570. Windows says system is not charging at all when I connect usb-c plug...

11 Posts

February 6th, 2021 13:00

@jphughanits the first option you mentioned. System sees that the power source is connected - windows gives me alert about not charging despite something is inserted in usb-c socket.

Probably the solution with 130W charger by Dell is the only one. Will buy and check.

Thx!

No Events found!