Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

1 Message

November 25th, 2019 03:00

Vostro 15 5568 broken case (hinge points)

Hi,

The screen hinges on my laptop are so tight that opening the screen has broken the case where the screws connect the hinge at either side.

Does this mean replacing the case (I guess it does) and if so can anyone tell me the part I have to replace .. is it the  keypad (which I can find on ebay) or is there a chassis (which I can't find) .. any other suggestions most welcome

Thanks

Jim

1 Message

December 5th, 2019 22:00

i have same problem on my 3 vostro 15 5568

1 Message

May 20th, 2020 12:00

I have the same problem, how did you resolve yours?

186 Posts

October 29th, 2020 01:00

If the shell is intact, you can directly replace the hing cover.

1 Message

November 10th, 2020 07:00

Hi ! I have the same problem . What do you mean by "if the shell is intact", what are you considering as the sell (sorry if this might sound a bit dumb of a question!) and to fix it do i need to get new hinges or i can just change the plastics and keep the default ones? thanks

1 Message

November 19th, 2021 14:00

I had this problem with a Vostro 5468. The hinges were so stiff that they ripped out the fixing inserts for one hinge.  I tried to reglue them but it broke again. The cure is to remove the hinges completely and adjust them. Once the hinge is out this is easy to do. There should be a hex nut at the end of a row of friction washers in the flex joint. Just undo the nut 1/4 to 1/2 a turn with a box spanner etc till the hinge feels much looser.  (I got this tip from a Youtube video about a Lenovo laptop, and it looks like many laptops use the same friction system, so this tip should apply to most ultraslim laptops.)

To get the hinges out, just follow the dismantling instructions which can be found in the Dell owner's manual. (My main problem here was that I could not unplug the video cable to the screen. It would not come out and I dared not use too much force, so left it.)

With the laptop in bits and the hinges out, you can examine and repair the hinge mounts. Note which broken bits came out of where and glue them back into place. Note YOU MUST GET THE BUSHES BACK IN EXACTLY THE RIGHT POSITIONS  AS UNLESS YOU DO THE SCREWS WILL NOT ENGAGE. THE HINGES PLATES ON MY LAPTOP WERE SO TOUGH THEY COULD NOT BE DRILLED OR FILED TO ASJUST THE HOLES.  I suggest using a jig or template to position the bushes. If you mess up, there is just one way of shifting the bushes - if you heat them with a soldering iron the glue will soften.  I also sugget that you use Superglue to tack the bushes into their final position, then apply epoxy resin. If you omit the superglue, the bushes are likely to shift, creating a lot more work later.  Repairing the bushes is the hardest part of this fix - dismantling the lsptop and adjusting the hinges should be relatively straightforward.

Another tip - to remove the screen bezel  - it will probably pop out easier if you get a fingernail between screen and bezel and rotate the plastic slightly so that the catches disengage.

With the laptop reassembled, the lid can be opened with one finger and stays in position when opened to the work angle. It could be tighter but still better than having snapped hinge mounts.

No Events found!