Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 5th, 2015 06:00

ScaleIO Linux and VMware

Hi,

I'm having trouble registering my SDCs to the ScaleIO vsphere web client plugin, hope anyone can help.

We have an none standard deployment which uses a physical 3 node ScaleIO linux cluster with our VMware platform.

I can't find a installation manual for this particular setup, so i'm picking bits and pieces from both the Linux and VMware manual.

Our test setup consists of:

1. Three physical boxes running Linux/CentOS and ScaleIO 1.32.2 for SDS

2. Ten node VMware ESXi cluster (SDC) which uses the above for storage.

I'm having trouble with the VMware part, so the Linux cluster works just great.

After installation of the ScaleIO vcenter web client plugin i register my exists physical Linux ScaleIO cluster with the plugin.

This works ok and after registration i can create/modify/etc protection domains, fault sets, etc.

Next step is installation of the SDC driver in ESXi, so i select "Install SDC on ESX", complete the wizard and reboot the esxi hosts.

Now after the esxi hosts come back from the reboot, they don't showup as SDC in the ScaleIO Vsphere Web Client Plugin.

Running "scli --query_all_sdc" from the Linux cluster confirms the SDC is not added.

When i look at the ESXi hosts, i can see the SDC driver is installed, just not initialized.

Running the following registeres the ESXi SDC client with the Linux cluster.

esxcli system module parameters set -m scini -p "IoctlIniGuidStr=$GUIDGEN IoctlMdmIPStr=$MDMIPS"

esxcli system module load -m scini

reboot

After this this the SDC shows up in the ScaleIO web client plugin under the "SDC" section.

Now i wanted to map some volumes to this host, so i clicked "Volumes > Rightclick the Volume > Map Volume" expecting the SDC to show up in my selection list. Somehow it does not.

So my questions.

1) Is it expected behavior that the SDC ESXi installation does not register itself with my Linux cluster in this specific deployment?

2) Is it expected behavior that the registered SDC is not usable in the ScaleIO vcenter web client plugin when mapping volumes?

Long post :-) Hope someone can help!

Regards,

Peter

October 5th, 2015 23:00

Hi,

You did almost everything correct except for the last step that you missed (step 4)

1. MDM+SDS on physical Linux / Windows (installed by IM)
  2. SDC on ESXs (installed by plugin)
  3. Register physical system in the plugin
  4. Extend the physical system via the plugin with the new host/s (ESX/s) with SDC role

You do not need to perform the manual esxcli commands below - since doing step 4 properly will configure the SDC module param properly and have it communicate with your MDM. Assuming there's no network issue between your Physical SIO setup and the ESXi servers.

esxcli system module parameters set -m scini -p "IoctlIniGuidStr=$GUIDGEN IoctlMdmIPStr=$MDMIPS"

esxcli system module load -m scini

reboot

No Events found!