Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 21st, 2016 21:00

consistent naming of /dev/scini* devices

Hi,

after mapping two new devices (scli --allow_multi_map --map_volume_to_sdc --volume_name TEST1 --sdc_ip X) , I'll get:

/dev/scinia

/dev/scinib

How can I get consistent names? The /dev/scini* devices don't present a WWN, so using everyones prefered method for doing this with multipathd won't work. How am I supposed to do multipathing at all? I should be able to map via two two different IPs (didn''t test yet), but then I won't be able to create a multipath device. I'd have prefered to create /dev/mapper/TEST1.

# lsblk -p -d -o +WWN /dev/scini*

lsblk: /dev/scini: not a block device

NAME        MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT WWN

/dev/scinia 251:0    0  24G  0 disk           

/dev/scinib 251:16   0  24G  0 disk 

Otherwise, it *might* be possible to use /dev/disk/by-id/emc-vol-XXXXXXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, but then again, what about multipathing?

Best regards,

Stefan

306 Posts

October 23rd, 2016 23:00

Hi Stefan,

There is no need for multipathing, as ScaleIO volumes will be presented to the Linux host with a single path anyway - all the load balancing and failover functions are realized "behind the curtain" by the SDC driver - just make sure you have 2 (or more) NICs configured with the IPs from the ranges used in your ScaleIO system, and the software will take of this for you without need of any extra configuration.

From ScaleIO UserGuide:

For Linux devices, the scini device name can change on reboot. It is recommended to mount a mapped volume to the ScaleIO unique ID, a persistent device name, rather than to the scini device name.

To identify the unique ID, run the ls -l /dev/disk/by-id/ command.

Hope that helps - let me know if anything is still unclear!

Best regards,

Pawel

306 Posts

October 23rd, 2016 23:00

BTW, if you need to use a ScaleIO device with DM-MPIO on Linux, here is the procedure:

https://support.emc.com/kb/484523

Pawel

No Events found!