Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 30th, 2019 17:00

100 Percent Disk Usage on Inspirion Laptop

Hello there.

I have been having this issue for over a year now. I got my laptop 2 or so years ago and it worked great up until March of last year. It started booting up with 100 percent disk usage and sitting at 100.

I originally bought this laptop for gaming and have only used it to game. I did not use it much at all, so it is still fairly new. (Maybe 30 or so hours of gaming on it). Otherwise I used my desktop.

I tried multiple things last year to fix it, and eventually got fed up and left it be. Now I need the laptop to replace another computer, so I need it working.

I watched official Dell support videos on this issue, and nothing in the video helped me. I disabled SuperFetch, Windows Search, etc. I did a hard drive scan with support assist. I finally decided to reset the computer to factory settings and removing all my files. The issue is still there.

Right now the disk usage is sitting at 100% while I am just typing this up. No other programs are open or installed since I did the factory reset. I again disabled SuperFetch and Windows Search, still not helping at all.

I have screenshots of my System info and my resource monitor. Any help would be appreciated.2.PNG3.PNG4.PNG5.PNGCapture.PNG

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 1st, 2019 06:00

This will always be the case until you change hard drive to an SSD.

There is no fix.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Inch-Internal-MZ-76E1T0B-AM/dp/B078DPCY3T/

July 1st, 2019 16:00

Oh okay, good to know. Thank you. 

April 21st, 2020 07:00

hello, i had the same problem (100% hard usage) and nothing worked for reduce them till i defraged the PC but not by windows defragment software, use Easeus or O&O defragment tools. again doing defragment by windos tools cant help.

1 Message

March 19th, 2021 08:00

The answer their is "No Fix" is false.  You can upgrade the SSD for increase speed but the SATA should work correctly and not be as fast.  Just say you don't know the answer.  My answer would be to reinstall the OS.  If MacAfee is installed you may need to uninstall it as this could be the reason it's maxing out.  SSD are fairly reasonable now so this may be a better option performance wise but I would do further research before giving up.

June 23rd, 2021 16:00

mine started after i upgraded wo Windows 10. I had windows 7 with no issues. core 7 with 16gb it was fast. Then i stupidly upgrade to win 10. disaster. Tried to downgrade to windows 7 but can't figure it out. disk t 100% upon turning on with no programs even running in the back ground

1 Message

July 14th, 2021 16:00

speedstep answer is by far the worst answer you can get.

Some services of windows make an intensive usage of HD, please check in services.msc and using system resouces tool, in system resources check the usage of the disk and wich process doing it.

Some services are innecessary for home users, please verify. In services.msc find the service associated with the process checked in resource monitor and disable.

June 30th, 2022 10:00

I have fought with this exact issue with my Dell 5570 since the moment I first powered it up. I did literally days of research and troubleshooting to try to fix it. As with many of the other respondents here, disabling Superfetch, defragging, turning off indexing, etc. had no effect. This was particularly irritating because I opted for the SSD when I purchased it and it still ran like a slug. I even did a system restore back to the original factory load and immediately on starting up (and for hours after), everytime I clicked on anything, disk usage went to 100% and programs stopped responding. 

I finally decided that it had something to do with the original software that came with the laptop and I got to the point where I was either going to fix it or throw it in the trash, so at that point I figured I had nothing to lose. I made a backup of my personal files on an external drive and then performed the following steps:

1. Did a complete data wipe following these instructions: https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000146892/dell-data-wipe .

!!! NOTE THAT YOU WILL LOSE ALL DATA ON YOUR DRIVE(S) IF YOU DO THIS! MAKE A BACKUP ON AN EXTERNAL DRIVE IF YOU CARE ABOUT WHAT IS ON YOUR COMPUTER!!!!

2. Changed my BIOS's SATA Operation to AHCI (it was set to RAID On, which made no sense to me in a laptop until I realized that Intel apparently co-opted the term RAID - which really stands for Redundant Array of Inexpensive Drives - into the tortured IntelR Rapid Restore Technology...whatever that means):
    SATA OperationSATA Operation
  3. Reloaded Windows from a USB thumbdrive using these instructions (under Create Windows 10 Installation Media  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 

Once the install was finished, I immediately went to Add/Remove Programs and removed all of the bloatware (Disney, Netflix, etc.) that comes with Windows. 

My disk usage now sits at 0% or 1% most of the time. Even when running multiple applications, it rarely goes above 70%, and only for a few seconds. 

Zero is such a wonderful number!Zero is such a wonderful number!

Based on these results, it seems clear to me that the issue is something in the Dell factory load or the SATA Operation being set to RAID On instead of AHCI. It's anyone's guess as to which was really causing the problem but following these steps should help.

I'm no Windows expert and don't claim that this will solve everyone's problems or even that it is the right thing to do. All I know is that it worked for me and I am finally able to use my "new" laptop after nearly two years of it being too slow to do anything with. 

1 Message

July 2nd, 2022 05:00

Hey there, not sure if you ever found a solution but I did discover one of the processes that was hogging up all my disk usage was MsMpEng.exe and this is related to Windows Defender. I am going to attach an easy to follow guide of how to fix this particular issue. Once I applied the solution my laptop ran great. I am attaching a link that will guide you through the implementation of the recommended fix

https://windowsreport.com/msmpeng-exe-high-cpu-usage/

2 Posts

September 29th, 2022 23:00

Dell Inspirion laptop with hard drive here.  I took advice from a different thread and uninstalled all Dell programs. Problem solved and I'm not seeing any bad effects from doing that.  Computer wasn't usable before and now disk usage usually stays under 30%.  

1 Message

October 5th, 2023 18:12

It works for me. 

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000125194/windows-10-task-manager-reports-100-disk-utilization-with-msi-mode-enabled

No Events found!