Windows 10

2 Bronze

100 Percent Disk Usage on Inspirion Laptop

Hello there.

I have been having this issue for over a year now. I got my laptop 2 or so years ago and it worked great up until March of last year. It started booting up with 100 percent disk usage and sitting at 100.

I originally bought this laptop for gaming and have only used it to game. I did not use it much at all, so it is still fairly new. (Maybe 30 or so hours of gaming on it). Otherwise I used my desktop.

I tried multiple things last year to fix it, and eventually got fed up and left it be. Now I need the laptop to replace another computer, so I need it working.

I watched official Dell support videos on this issue, and nothing in the video helped me. I disabled SuperFetch, Windows Search, etc. I did a hard drive scan with support assist. I finally decided to reset the computer to factory settings and removing all my files. The issue is still there.

Right now the disk usage is sitting at 100% while I am just typing this up. No other programs are open or installed since I did the factory reset. I again disabled SuperFetch and Windows Search, still not helping at all.

I have screenshots of my System info and my resource monitor. Any help would be appreciated.2.PNG3.PNG4.PNG5.PNGCapture.PNG

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
9 Rhodium

This will always be the case until you change hard drive to an SSD.

There is no fix.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Inch-Internal-MZ-76E1T0B-AM/dp/B078DPCY3T/

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Diagnostics & Tools

View solution in original post

Community Accepted Solution
Replies (7)
9 Rhodium

This will always be the case until you change hard drive to an SSD.

There is no fix.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Inch-Internal-MZ-76E1T0B-AM/dp/B078DPCY3T/

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Diagnostics & Tools

View solution in original post

Community Accepted Solution

Oh okay, good to know. Thank you. 

speedstep answer is by far the worst answer you can get.

Some services of windows make an intensive usage of HD, please check in services.msc and using system resouces tool, in system resources check the usage of the disk and wich process doing it.

Some services are innecessary for home users, please verify. In services.msc find the service associated with the process checked in resource monitor and disable.

2 Bronze

hello, i had the same problem (100% hard usage) and nothing worked for reduce them till i defraged the PC but not by windows defragment software, use Easeus or O&O defragment tools. again doing defragment by windos tools cant help.
2 Bronze

The answer their is "No Fix" is false.  You can upgrade the SSD for increase speed but the SATA should work correctly and not be as fast.  Just say you don't know the answer.  My answer would be to reinstall the OS.  If MacAfee is installed you may need to uninstall it as this could be the reason it's maxing out.  SSD are fairly reasonable now so this may be a better option performance wise but I would do further research before giving up.

mine started after i upgraded wo Windows 10. I had windows 7 with no issues. core 7 with 16gb it was fast. Then i stupidly upgrade to win 10. disaster. Tried to downgrade to windows 7 but can't figure it out. disk t 100% upon turning on with no programs even running in the back ground

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions