Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 22nd, 2016 10:00

A required drive partition is missing

Thank you for taking a look at this post.

I bought a Dell 7353 2 in 1 and wanted to run something other than Windows 10. I removed the existing factory partitions using  the diskpart "clean" command. Now I discovered the OS I wanted to install does not have drivers supporting the 7353 hardware.

Is there a way for me to recover the erased factory partitions? Nothing has been done to the drive since erasing it.

I downloaded the Dell Recovery image using my service tag and was able to boot from the DVD but it will not install due to the "Unable to reset your PC, A required drive partition is missing" error.

Please help!

Thank you for any help that you can provide.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 23rd, 2016 04:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us!

Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done to recover the erased partition.

Thanks

Robin

3 Posts

March 23rd, 2016 08:00

Hi Robin,

Could you please give me the steps I need to follow to create a new partition to reinstall Windows 10 and the drivers from the Recovery Image?

Thank you for your quick response!

2 Intern

• 

1.2K Posts

March 24th, 2016 10:00

Hi,

You would need to do a clean operating system re-installation.

When doing this you can create multiple partition depending your needs but we wouldn't be able to support it.

You can download the necessary drivers from our Dell Support Site.

Do let us know if you need more help.

Regards,

DELL-Akshatha M

Social Media and Community Professional

#IWork4Dell

3 Posts

March 25th, 2016 07:00

Hi Akshatha,

I have already downloaded the Windows Recovery Image and am able to boot from it. But as stated in my post above, I receive the "Unable to reset your PC, A required drive partition is missing" error. Could you please tell me (or direct me to a webpage with the correct instructions) how to create the correct partitions on this SSD drive so I can properly reinstall the OS?

Thank you!

2 Intern

• 

1.2K Posts

March 25th, 2016 10:00

Hi,

Found a website which could be helpful for this issue, request you to try the steps listed in it:

http://bit.ly/1JmNrqf

Do let us know if this helped you resolve the issue.

Regards,

DELL-Akshatha M

Social Media and Community Professional

#IWork4Dell

1 Message

May 20th, 2016 11:00

Use Microsoft MediaCreation tool to create an appropriate Windows 10 DVD/USB stick.
It will install properly and auto activate the DELL. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

2 Posts

January 31st, 2017 01:00

steps (reinstall from preinstalled W7 to W10 with original DELL DVD into SSD) : 1) www.dell.com/.../SLN300634  2) www.dell.com/.../EN 3) www.disk-partition.com/.../required-drive-partition-missing-windows-10-5740i.html

2 Posts

February 4th, 2017 00:00

dell123, did this solve your issue? I am having the exact smae message and i didnt see that DELL answers were any help. SURPRISE!!

3 Posts

May 10th, 2017 15:00

I experienced the same error message, but in my case I was attempting to upgrade my hard drive to a new SSD hard drive and simply wanted to perform a factory reset using the provided Dell Windows 10 DVD. The answer was relatively simple - just had to do a recover, and I blogged about it here https://jasoncoltrin.com/2017/05/10/dell-latitude-3570-ssd-hdd-upgrade-procedure-reinstall-reset-recover-windows-10-on-blank-disk-from-dvd/

1 Message

November 20th, 2019 07:00

Thanks Jason, I followed the steps on your blog and that fixed the problem.
Your blog was easy to follow and clearly explained what was happening and why, which I found to be really useful.

Cheers

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 20th, 2019 08:00

There is no recovery of erased partitions.

You need a USB 2.0 optical drive and OEM System builder DVD.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-8x-external-usb-2-0-blu-ray-disc-double-layer-dvdrw-cd-rw-disc-rewriter-black/9243009.p?skuId=9243009

You set Sata Operation to AHCI and install from scratch.

https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-64-bit-reinstall-recovery-disc-only-no-license-key-included/p/N82E16832350238

Current Driver CAB Summary

Model Platform ID Version Release Date Size Link
XPS Notebook 7590 Windows10 4Y4HX A02 11/12/2019 1044 MB Download Now

2 Posts

September 28th, 2023 19:25

@Gauthier VV​ THANK YOU - this worked on my Dell E7440 after I tried Dell Recovery Media over and over again w/o success to fix my No-Boot problem.

I was getting messages about invalid partition table, Windows Drive Is Locked and others.  Almost ready to do the unthinkable -- PAY someone to fix it, or just chuck the old machine.

Until I saw your message I never imagined that a Microsoft Windows recovery tool would be more effective than Dell recovery tool customized to my Service Tag.  Plus  - the Dell tool was trying to re-install the original Windows 8.1.  Microsoft tool has Windows 10 running.

Try it folks, if you can't fix "no-boot" with Dell Recovery Media.

No Events found!