Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

Re: BitLocker: need a key but I never installed it

Since you are in an Enterprise scenario, do your co-workers know where their keys are stored?

Anything in your or their BCD stores regarding key location?

Have you ever run in a Microsoft account?

In the manage-bde.exe help there is a switch for managing protection for the encryption key, does that show anything? (-protectors)

Running some commands if you are not signed into the system in some manner may not work.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
nlecomte
1 Nickel

Hi thanks again for your answers.

Still not able to go over the bitlocker recovery key.

I've checked with my colleague and no-one knows where their key is stored. Up to know I've asked them to run manage-bde -protectors -get c: when they are logged in so they can note down their recovery key.

What I don't understand is the statement saying that Bitlocker gets activated when joining a domain. I kind of understand the logic but if the domain is not setup to store the recovery key then it means that this key is stored nowhere and there is no way to find it?

I'll recheck with my admins but they've gone through all the info in the Active Directory without any success...

I guess I'll reformat and loose a lot of data but at least I've learnt to backup my data and check if disks are bitlocked...

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos

@nlecomtewrote:

Hi thanks again for your answers.

Still not able to go over the bitlocker recovery key.

I've checked with my colleague and no-one knows where their key is stored. Up to know I've asked them to run manage-bde -protectors -get c: when they are logged in so they can note down their recovery key.

What I don't understand is the statement saying that Bitlocker gets activated when joining a domain. I kind of understand the logic but if the domain is not setup to store the recovery key then it means that this key is stored nowhere and there is no way to find it?

I'll recheck with my admins but they've gone through all the info in the Active Directory without any success...

I guess I'll reformat and loose a lot of data but at least I've learnt to backup my data and check if disks are bitlocked...

Thanks for your help

Hi Nicolas, 

Going by this Bitlocker Microsoft article, your domain administrator would need to setup a Group Policy to store passwords in an active directory - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/information-protection/bitlocker/bitlocker-key-man...

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Dr.Prabhath
1 Copper

Hi friend. I had the same problem with my Dell vostro, that I bought  online on Amazon india. I was also very disturbed because I had my 1year old daughters precious photos stored on it.i.went through all the options listed on this forum and found no solution. Finally I found another solution online at https://one drive.live.com/recoverykey. If you can login with your microsoft account and password you can find the 48 digit numerical key here like I found it. It looks like microsoft self generated it because I have never set a recovery key. It is very bad that they do this without our permission. They should be sued for not informing the user before updating. I believe neither Dell nor amazon is at fault here.Its all microsoft here. I hope this helps.Believe me, i understand the pain of losing proceeds data.

0 Kudos
Hitekbruin
1 Copper

I purchased a Dell Inspiron 3000 last week with Windows 10 Home for a client and in the process of making a backup image discovered that Bitlocker is on. I haven't the slightest idea why it would be installed and sold this way. Typically, I configure a new system with software and user data and then image it so it can be reset to my original delivery state. This particular client lives 400 miles away.

I usually use Acronis for this but I am not sure it will restore correctly.  I do have a Microsoft account and can try to unwind Bitlocker but this is new territory for me. I have used encryption products but not BitLocker. Any advice?

0 Kudos
CahalSi
1 Copper

Hi All,

I faced this issue today. I believe it was triggered by a BIOS update I installed last week. I have a Dell XPS 13 running Windows 10.

Upon turning on my laptop I was faced with the "Enter your BitLocker Recovery Key", despite having never installed or enabled it, so I didn't have any recovery keys generated or saved.

I called Microsoft, they said it's up to the manufacturer.

I tweeted Dell support and they were finally able to help me access my laptop once again.

"Please follow the steps mentioned below, and let us know if you are able to boot to the OS.

1. Restart the system.

2. At the Dell Logo keep tapping F2.

3. You will enter the BIOS screen

4. Under General

5. Select  Boot Sequence.

6. Select  UEFI

7. Select  Apply.
8. Under “Security” select TPM 2.0 Security

9. Select  Enable and click on Apply.

10. Under “Secure Boot”

11. Select  Secure Boot Enable

12. Select  Enable.

13. Click on Apply. Once these steps are done, restart the system and let us know if you are able to boot into Windows.

-----

The above worked for me: I am now able to enter Windows and access my files. To avoid this stress in future, I recommend setting up a restore point and purchasing a reputable back up software, I've just purchased Acronis.

Good luck!

CahalSi

suryakiran
1 Copper

Same has happened to me

0 Kudos
Trailerman
1 Copper

Same here.   Inspiron Laptop.  Motherbaord had to be replaced.  Bitlocker has locked both drives (we never installed Bitlocker).   No usable key on our microsoft account.  Microsoft blaming DELL.  DELL blaming Microsoft.

Totally ridiculous!

suryakiran
1 Copper

Similar issue has happened with me. How did you solve this?

0 Kudos
suryakiran
1 Copper

I am having similar issue. How did you solve this?

0 Kudos