Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 26th, 2016 16:00

Dell Battery Meter with Windows 10

I'm planning on upgrading my XPS 14z to Windows 10.  The laptop offers the dell battery meter option where I can disable battery charging.  If I go to windows 10, either through an upgrade or clean install, will I lose this functionality?  Thanks in advance.

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

February 28th, 2016 08:00

Why do you want to Disable battery charging? The laptop will NOT overcharge the battery; the battery stops the charging when it is fully charged.

10 Posts

February 29th, 2016 10:00

I had always thought I needed to disable charging manually to not damage the battery life.  

1 Message

April 13th, 2016 14:00

I have dell inpiron r15 n5110 and it keeps charging in windows 10 after 100%

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

April 14th, 2016 08:00

Is this a Dell battery or a third party replacement? Most batteries will continue to charge for a time after it shows 100% charge. To check yours, install the free BattStat utility. You can follow the charging on a graph which shows the charging current. Usually, at about 100% charge, the current will begin to drop until the charging is done till it's really done. This can take an additional hour.

I had an aftermarket battery that continued to charge intermittently when fully charged. The charger cycled on and off every 5 seconds or so. The battery lived a long time.

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

April 14th, 2016 08:00

There are a lot of "experts" out there that keep recommending the battery should be removed after charging or the power charger removed, They are WRONG.

35 Posts

July 18th, 2016 10:00

I'll tell you why - because a battery "stored" at 40-60% will last immensely longer than a battery "stored" at 100%.  My L702X battery has always been kept at 50-60% when I wasn't planning to be off mains power, and only fully charged when I was planning to go off the grid.  It's 5 1/2 years old and still acting like brand new.  How long do your laptop batteries last at full charge?  Mine last about 2-3 year before their capacity drops below about 30% of new capacity if I keep them at 100% all the time.

Yes, I know this is an old thread, but I'm looking for the same answer - will the Dell Battery utility still work after I upgrade to Windows 10 or is there another way to stop battery charging before 100%?

EDIT:  Answer - the Dell battery monitor still works after the Windows 10 update, at least on my L702x.

1 Message

August 22nd, 2016 09:00

Hello,

I am very glad I found someone mentioning it; I have done the exact same thing with my old laptop with satisfactory results.

The problem is I can't find something to work on my new XPS 9550 with Win 10 Pro. I tried with Dell battery meter and Dell Quickset, without any luck.

Could you please tell me what program works for you ? (I have found nothing actually saying it supports Win 10)

1 Message

September 12th, 2018 10:00

Hi There,

I was facing the same issue and wanted to have the 'Battery Meter' tool on Win 10 for my Dell Inspiron. It was working fine for me on Win7.

After trying lot of things without any luck, I figured out that 'R314287 - Dell QuickSet Application' driver solves the problem! Once I installed it, I was able to turn off the charging using the software.

Download link: https://www.dell.com/support/home/in/en/inbsd1/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=D2KYX

This driver is supported on Inspiron N5110 and Vostro Notebook 3550. I believe the same driver is available for the other Dell models as well.

I hope this will help. Regards!

1 Message

May 18th, 2020 02:00

@Cool_Coder1Thanks for searching the compatible version. I knew Quickset gives the Dell Battery Meter option but wasn't able to locate a compatible version with Windows 10. Thanks again.

1 Message

April 25th, 2021 03:00

Tons of Thanks Cool_Coder1

Your post really made me Cool
No Events found!