Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 6th, 2017 04:00

Dell Dimension 9200: USB keyboard/mouse & Windows 10...

I dusted off my old Dell Dimension 9200 desktop and put a fresh install of Windows 10 onto it...

All went well until the finish: at the Windows 10 login screen the USB keyboard and mouse are not recognized. They work fine at (and in) the BIOS -- it's Windows 10 that kills them. I'm guessing that W10 would install drivers once it launches but... I can't get past the login screen!

I've had a good old Google and peruse of these forums and I'm rapidly approaching the conclusion that the only way around this is to purchase a PS/2 add-in card and attach a PS/2 keyboard/mouse... but I obviously want to avoid that unless absolutely necessary.

So... anyone have any ideas? I can't find anything useful to enable/disable in the BIOS and I can't think of any other way around this chicken-and-egg situation, but I'm all ears!

Thanks!

Archie.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

December 6th, 2017 06:00

Hi archibaldingtonb,

Thanks for posting.

Apologies that this computer is having difficulties with Windows 10.  Dell has not tested nor does it support running this machine with Windows 10, however some users have reported success. The problem becomes finding drivers.  Some users have successfully installed the Windows Vista or XP drivers and it has worked.  Other users have had better success with Windows 8.1.  Here is a blog from one of the Dell Community Rockstars which you may find helpful. 

Here's a workaround from another Forum user.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 28th, 2017 20:00

So... anyone have any ideas? I can't find anything useful to enable/disable in the BIOS and I can't think of any other way around this chicken-and-egg situation, but I'm all ears!
Does this happen with every USB keyboard/mouse combination? 

I have Windows 10 installed on contemporary Dells (GX620 and E310) and it functions fine with USB keyboards. 

Did you update this machine to the latest BIOS? 

No Events found!