Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 29th, 2015 17:00

Dell Inspiron 3847 DESKTOP

I purchased the above computer a year and a half ago.  It cost $500.00 but I don't get a little window in the lower right corner of my desktop.  It is a windows 8.1 and seems to be running fine but when I try to install KB2919355 I get an error.  Obviously all I am doing is trying to qualify for windows 10.  Does anyone have any idea what the error is all about and why I can't qualify for a upgrade to win10.Thanks in advance.   - Missouri Tiger

1 Message

July 29th, 2015 18:00

Be careful going to Windows 10, I got the upgrade downloaded and let it install and now it doesn't recognize my ethernet adapter so I have no internet connection at all and the computer is useless.  I have been searching for people with same issue and came across your thread and haven't seen anyone with my same issues yet.  I downloaded some updated drivers and hope they will work...

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

July 29th, 2015 18:00

:emotion-2:

I believe you're looking for Windows update (KB3035583).Click on the link.....

query about windows 10

July 30th, 2015 12:00

Yes, I believe you are right but when I tried to download it (KB 3035583) I got a message saying it was no longer downloadable.  Do you know where I might find it?

3 Posts

June 18th, 2016 09:00

OK, I know this was a year ago.  Did you get a solution to the ethernet problem?  I just put Win10 on a client's computer (same model) with the same result.

I'd really appreciate a response even though this is an old posting.

June 19th, 2016 19:00

OK, I know this was a year ago.  Did you get a solution to the ethernet problem?  I just put Win10 on a client's computer (same model) with the same result.

I'd really appreciate a response even though this is an old posting.

That's tough one. There are many horrid threads where a user lost his internet & never could get it back. Here are articles to try...

http://www.dell.com/Support/Article/us/en/19/SLN209336

Troubleshoot Internet, WiFi and Connectivity Issues on Your Dell Computer

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN285431/en

How to Troubleshoot and Resolve any Wired NIC issues with a Desktop PC

Poke around a bit, try this & that, but strongly consider reverting to the prior OS at "START, Settings, Update & Security, Recovery". The option to revert will be there for only about a month.

3 Posts

June 20th, 2016 05:00

That is what we did.  I have several clients with that particular model of Dell Inspiron, though, and I wasn't sure it if was related to the model of computer she had or something else.

This client has decided to stick with 7, but I need to know what to tell others with the same type of computer.

How did I go this long without seeing this problem?  I guess I'll go into research mode before I do any more like it just to be on the safe side.

June 20th, 2016 21:00

That is what we did.  I have several clients with that particular model of Dell Inspiron, though, and I wasn't sure it if was related to the model of computer she had or something else.

This client has decided to stick with 7, but I need to know what to tell others with the same type of computer.

How did I go this long without seeing this problem?  I guess I'll go into research mode before I do any more like it just to be on the safe side.

They are all Inspiron 3847's...?...

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-3847-desktop/drivers/advanced

Dell Inspiron 3847 Drivers & Downloads

The site indicates there are Windows 10 drivers for it. But I don't know how useful that is, if - after the upgrade - there is no internet access to go get them. If you tried two already with the same result, it doesn't look good.

At the "Support Topics & Articles" at that site, I see many, many articles - but none entitled "Lost internet after upgrade". Maybe go have a look.

3 Posts

June 21st, 2016 05:00

Only one here but there are lots of reports of problems with this model.

I went to the support page on my cell (didn't have a laptop with me), but I'll go over there on my computer and see if there is anything useful that I can put on a flash drive.  I didn't think about there being different drivers available dependent on the source of the request.

One site suggested updating the drivers before doing the Windows 10 install, so we may try that on another computer on an upcoming install (later this week).  It seems to be a unique problem to Realtek drivers -- both the video and ethernet/wireless ones for the hardware on that particular box.

June 21st, 2016 21:00

Only one here but there are lots of reports of problems with this model.

I went to the support page on my cell (didn't have a laptop with me), but I'll go over there on my computer and see if there is anything useful that I can put on a flash drive.  I didn't think about there being different drivers available dependent on the source of the request.

One site suggested updating the drivers before doing the Windows 10 install, so we may try that on another computer on an upcoming install (later this week).  It seems to be a unique problem to Realtek drivers -- both the video and ethernet/wireless ones for the hardware on that particular box.

I think you've got a good plan with the DVD. And, yes, it's mentioned in here...

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN297955

Windows 10 upgrade walkthrough

...to update drivers before & after the upgrade.

The Win 10 upgrade did work very well for me on this Inspiron 3542 w/o doing anything special. But I've read in this forum of  two 3542's having trouble.

No Events found!