Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 10th, 2017 10:00

Dell Update Problems - User Account Control

My Computer is configured for two users.  One user is fine, but the other user gets a routine Dell Update notice each time when starting the account.  "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device" etc etc.

When entering the password I get a Window's message "Cannot start service from the command line or a debugger.  A windows service must first be installed (using installutil.exe) and then started with the ServerExplorer, Windows Services Administrative tool or the NET START command".

I have used the Sustem File Checker Tool but that showed everything to be OK.

Is there an easy way sort this out?

Mike

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

July 5th, 2018 10:00

@Community,

I no longer need a volunteer as engineering released what was intended to be tested, version 2.2.2.7. I've been advised that 2.2.2.7 contains the fix for the UAC popup.

Several methods to obtain the update:

If SupportAssist is already installed click: Settings > About SupportAssist  > Check for updates

Or

Download and install SupportAssist from here.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 11th, 2017 07:00

Do both users have the same system level?  e.g. do both have full rights (including administrator rights) or is one a restricted account?

4 Posts

December 11th, 2017 10:00

No, both users do not have the same rights.  

The user with Administrative rights does not have the Dell message that I described.   The subordinate user (without  Administrative rights) has the problem.

January 11th, 2018 21:00

I'm having the same problem with a new XPS 13 2 in 1.  Did you find a solution? Thanks

1 Message

January 13th, 2018 16:00

same problem Latitude 7480

1 Message

January 22nd, 2018 09:00

I have the same issue with a Dell Inspiron 5579.

1 Message

January 23rd, 2018 07:00

I'm having the exact same problem. Has anyone come up with a solution? 

1 Message

January 25th, 2018 06:00

Got my Dell Inspiron 3268 a couple of weeks ago and have noticed this message appearing several times in a user account without admin rights. Don't have the necessary know-how to use installutil.exe.

It disappears when I press OK and nothing bad seems to happen but I'd like to stop the message appearing.

1 Message

January 25th, 2018 11:00

Same Problem: Fresh out of the box Dell Inspiron desktop. Admin account doesn't have the problem. Regular User account gets this message.  Even if I enter the Admin password, I will still get the Service start failure message.

I don't know what Dell Service is trying to run/start.  DellUpdate, DellDigitalDelivery and Dell SupportAssist Remediation services are running.

6 Posts

January 28th, 2018 17:00

The same thing is happening to me, too. I've had my Inspiron 3268 for about three months, but did not start having this problem until two weeks ago. I checked the System History using Dell Support Assist and noticed that Dell SupportAssistAgent had been automatically updated two weeks ago to version 2.1.3.5 When the User Account Control Screen appeared I clicked "Show more details" and it said the program requesting permission was C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssistAgent\bin\SupportAssistAgent.exe I tried to do a System Restore to a time before the update to SupportAsssistAgent 2.1.3.5 but the System Restore failed complaining about a file. I don't recall the exact name of the file but it was a file associated with Dell software.

1 Message

January 29th, 2018 12:00

Same thing, just received today 29-01-2018 my Inspiron 17 5000,  Admin account is ok, but my personal account in which I use my Microsoft account is sending this message randomly when I access my personal account. I was thinking of removing all the bloatware to see if the message disappear but I think I will wait till it's solved, just to avoid any justification of the support team on the cause of this issue.

2 Posts

January 31st, 2018 22:00

I had the same problem on two different machines. 

I just have removed (uninstalled) the DELL Support Assist Agent.

I dont need the Support Assist, so I solved the problem for me. 

1 Message

February 2nd, 2018 03:00

thanks for all the info as we had the same problem in Thailand; Completely **bleep** up the user's logins so I've instructed to uninstall the Dell agent and then we can review the user login and see if it returns to normal

2 Posts

March 19th, 2018 11:00

Is there a problem with the image Dell is using for all of its OEM installations?  Looks like it to me. This problem goes deeper as there appears to be a permissions issue with these OEM images which Dell is not addressing.  I just bought this Dell Inspiron 5567 and have this issue. I even used the Dell restore facility and went back to factory a day after I bought it to make sure I had not done something wrong and same behavior and event errors immediately. Take a look at your Event Viewer under System and you will probably find numerous 11016 error codes which point to permissions problems. I don't know if removing Dell Support Assist will fix the problem. We shouldn't have to do that. Some find the Support Assist feature useful and want to be able to utilize it.  Also, you will find that if you are using limited account profiles that are not an administrator you will have permissions problems with some programs you may want to install under those profiles.  To attempt to try and sort that out is not something an average user will be able to do nor should they have to as this appears to be a problem that is embedded in these OEM images and Dell is just selling them like this.

If I am wrong my humble apologies but before I give that, Dell prove I am wrong and address these issues!

3 Posts

March 21st, 2018 15:00

I've also ran into this issue and what I did was: I logged into as local admin and uninstalled Dell SupportAssistAgent. Logged out and log back in as the user and no more notification.

No Events found!