Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

April 2nd, 2018 09:00

Inspiron laptop 5720 not compatible with Windows update 1709 but update is continually pushed.

My laptop was originally supplied with Windows 7. It updated to Windows 10 with no problems and has been fine until the latest update version 1709. Although this version is not supported by Dell on this laptop it is continually pushed by Microsoft causing hours of wasted time as it repeatedly tries to install and then fails.

I have disabled the update service but I still receive messages that it is downloading the update which interrupts any other activities. Although it can no longer install the update it still wastes valuable time .

Also I notice the trouble-shooting tools on the Dell website no longer work with this laptop although they have in the past.

I read that Windows 7 will still be supported by Microsoft until 2020. Is it my best option to roll back to Windows 7?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

April 3rd, 2018 16:00

@Susie2018wrote:

My laptop was originally supplied with Windows 7. It updated to Windows 10 with no problems and has been fine until the latest update version 1709. Although this version is not supported by Dell on this laptop it is continually pushed by Microsoft causing hours of wasted time as it repeatedly tries to install and then fails.

I have disabled the update service but I still receive messages that it is downloading the update which interrupts any other activities. Although it can no longer install the update it still wastes valuable time .

Also I notice the trouble-shooting tools on the Dell website no longer work with this laptop although they have in the past.

I read that Windows 7 will still be supported by Microsoft until 2020. Is it my best option to roll back to Windows 7?

You can't roll back to Windows 7 unless your recovery partition is intact, and even then, I am not sure you can.

Defrag your hard drive.

On another PC, download and install Media Creation Tool on a USB flash drive.

Take that newly created USB flash drive over to your Inspiron 5720 and double-click on setup.exe on that USB flash drive.

See you are able to update to 1709 this way.

12 Posts

April 6th, 2018 04:00

I have been in contact with Microsoft twice. They tried the Media install and it failed. I have spent about 4 hours with them in total and many more hours trying to stop this update. This laptop is not listed as tested by Dell for compatibility with Windows Update 1709 and according to Microsoft some of the required drivers have not been updated by Dell so the update cannot install. I also asked Microsoft to disable the update but that has also not worked. Perhaps Dell could consider updating the drivers?

There are many frustrated posts by a variety of users on the Microsoft website. As suggested, I have tried disabling some WindowsUpdate options in the Task Scheduler today and will see what happens. As an ordinary user I don't think I should have to run scripts to stop this process.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 6th, 2018 05:00

An update may not work for several reasons.  Not enough hard drive space, or perhaps some device is not compatible.  If the device could be replaced, as with a Wi-Fi card, it may get you moving again.

The first thing to try is to disable any devices in the bios you can.  If you need to disable the network adapters, use the media creation tool to download an .iso for 1709 or have it make a USB (very slow).  Do this now since the download may not be available after Tuesday.  If you already have a Media Creation tool for the current build, you are OK.  You can try installing while offline which might help.  Unplug any external devices and turn off any wireless printers.

You might search your system for a couple of files.  There may be several locations but you need one which for which the date and time coincides with a failed upgrade attempt.

Setupact.log

setuperr.log

You can open the files with notepad to look at them.  They may also have certain personal information regarding your system or files on your system.  But if you can find something which refers to "fatal" you might find some error number.

12 Posts

April 6th, 2018 06:00

Hello,

I did have the media. It was mapped to a DVD drive but somehow it has now gone...however I did find this in my downloads:

Windows Media CreatorWindows Media Creator

Are these the necessary files?

I checked the log files you mentioned but the first only had information from yesterday and the second was empty. I did uninstall the WindowsUpdateAssistant yesterday and delete the Update folder from the C Drive (even though people say it reinstalls itself) so perhaps that accounts for it? This has been going on since January so I was getting a bit fed up.

This is the Update error screen with error code:

Windows Update 1709 error  screen Feb 2018Windows Update 1709 error screen Feb 2018

A couple of things I am worried about:

If something is incompatible will I be able to change it or will I lose functionality?

If I manage to install this update what happens when the next one is released?

In making all the changes I am worried I am going to corrupt the laptop myself.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 6th, 2018 06:00

If you run the update troubleshooter until it says no more corruption a manual install of kb4089848 will resolve this.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=kb4089848

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

April 6th, 2018 07:00

Susie2018,

Do the manual update of KB4089848 as suggested.

Download to your Inspiron and install.

I had trouble with it on my M6300, and manual install got me over the hurdle.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 6th, 2018 08:00

We can't see your attachments. They just show as an unmoderated gif

12 Posts

April 6th, 2018 10:00

Hopefully these images show up ok, they are all visible to me

12 Posts

April 6th, 2018 10:00

Windows Assistant Update 1709  errorWindows Assistant Update 1709 errorAnother error messageAnother error messageWindows 1709 MediaWindows 1709 Media

12 Posts

April 6th, 2018 11:00

They don't seem to show up when I sign out - I will try againWindows media toolWindows media tool

Windows Update Assistant errorWindows Update Assistant errorWindows install errorWindows install error

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

April 6th, 2018 11:00

No, no images. You need to use a website like imgur.com for others to see them.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 6th, 2018 14:00

Maybe Dell wants us to use Dropbox :)

Or you could embed them from OneDrive.  But a third party hosting site would be better.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

April 6th, 2018 15:00

Delete MediaCreationTool(1).exe  . It is a duplicate.

Double-click on MediaCreationTool.exe to create a bootable USB drive.

That is all it does. Nothing else.

Once you have that successfully done, report back.

12 Posts

I think I have found the iso file on my desk

12 Posts

Here is a description of the images I tried to upload:

The Media Creation tool downloaded files are called:

MediaCreationTool   18,182KB  (Application)

MediaCreationTool(1) 18,182KB (Application)

The 2 files above were downloaded at exactly the same time

Windows10Upgrade9252 6,097KB (Application) downloaded slightly earlier the same day

Windows Upgrade assistant error message comes up in a window which says: Something went wrong. You can contact Microsoft support for help with this error. Here is the error code 0x80070652.

The other message which I have recorded is a blue Windows 10 Setup screen which says: We couldn't install Windows 10. We've set your PC back to the way it was right before you started installing Windows 10. 0xC1900101 - 0x30018. The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during SYSPREP operation.

No Events found!