Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 11th, 2015 08:00

Latitudes e6400 and Windows 10

Will Dell be adding support for Windows 10 to the e6400s Latitude series laptops?  As of right now Windows 10 is not listed as a compatible operating system for my computer so, I have no bluetooth capabilities.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

August 11th, 2015 12:00

The Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth card is a Broadcom card.

Install the Broadcom Bluetooth Update (Widcomm Windows Bluetooth Software):

http://www.broadcom.com/support/?gid=2

3K Posts

August 11th, 2015 13:00

Can't speak specifically to the BT question but I've been running it on my E6420 since 07/29 and have had zero problems with the transition.  Configuring the privacy settings took longer than the upgrade process itself.  (It seems MS wants us to share everything but our hat sizes with the rest of the world.)

No driver issues whatsoever with my configuration - everything worked from the first boot.

5 Posts

August 13th, 2015 07:00

Hi, I did download the BT Software you recommended. It's running trying to detect the Bluetooth device, Broadcom USH w/swipe sensor, but the this device is not turned on and I can't do so because the device did not migrated When Windows 10 was installed. BlueTooth does not show under settings/devices, so I can't turn it on. The Bluetooth software download that you recommended is running but waiting for me to turn it on. What can I do? thanks Teo

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 13th, 2015 08:00

The broadcomm USH is not bluetooth software its the Control point software package.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN129590/en

The Broadcom Unified Security Hub USH drivers are included in the Dell ControlPoint Security Device Driver Pack, these drivers are located in the ControlPoint download category for your computer.

It also includes drivers for:
Broadcom Trusted Platform Module
Atmel Trusted Platform Module
STMicroelectronics Trusted Platform Module
Winbond Trusted Platform Module
O2Micro Smart Card Reader
Dell Smart Card Keyboard
UPEK TouchChip Fingerprint Reader
Authentec Fingerprint Reader
Vista Storage Driver Update (for ATAPI.SYS)

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverid=V3P97

Windows 7, 64-bit
Windows Vista, 64-bit
Windows XP, 64-bit

Latitude XT2 (Early 2009)
Latitude E6400 (Mid 2008)
OptiPlex 380 (Late 2009)
Latitude E4310 (Mid 2010)
Latitude E6410 (Early 2010)
Latitude E6410 ATG (Early 2010)
Latitude E5510 (Mid 2010)
OptiPlex 580 (Early 2010)
Latitude E5410 (Mid 2010)
Latitude E6510 (Early 2010)
Precision M4500
Precision T3500 (Early 2009)
OptiPlex XE (Early 2010)
OptiPlex 980 (Early 2010)
Precision M6500
Latitude 13 (Mid 2010)
Latitude E6400 ATG (Mid 2008)
OptiPlex 760 (Late 2008)
Latitude E4300 (Late 2008)
Latitude E6500 (Mid 2008)
OptiPlex 780 (Late 2009)
Precision M2400
Precision M4400
Precision M6400
Latitude E5500
Latitude E5400 (Mid 2008)
OptiPlex 960 (Late 2008)
Latitude E4200 (Late 2008)
Precision T7500 (Early 2009)
Precision T5500 (Early 2009)
Latitude E6400 XFR (Mid 2008)
Latitude Z (Late 2009)
Latitude XT2 XFR (Late 2009)

5 Posts

August 13th, 2015 09:00

Hi,

That did resolve my problem. Now my Credential Vault is working.

Thanks a lot.

Teo

21 Posts

August 29th, 2015 23:00

Hi,

I have upgraded two e6400 from Win7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. One has Nvidia video the other Intel.

Both have 4 Gig Ram & 500gb HD.

I did have to reinstall the Dell Webcam Central Program & Mouse Pad Drivers.

Blue Tooth was the only driver I needed to source from another supplier.

The Broadcom Blue Win 10 Blue Tooth drivers from Lenovo work. Do a google search and they will get your Bluetooth adaptor up and working.

Lastly you can get Win 10 Nvidia Quartro drivers direct from Nvidia.

Both laptops work well and pass the Dell Standard, Extended & Stress Test fine.

1 Message

November 15th, 2015 06:00

Device Manager showed not a single unknown device. I mean I should have seen the Bluetooth device as a not installed device on Device Manager.

I did as you wrote, It simply worked ! (tried many solution available on the internet for about 3 hours !)

Thanks !

3 Posts

November 23rd, 2015 11:00

I don't have any information on bluetooth, but I am trying to install Win 10 on a Dell Latitude E6400 and keep getting a message that the CPU is not compatible with Win 10 and that NX must be enabled in BIOS. From what I have been able to find out NX is a security option on AMD computers and Intel has an equivalent called XD which I have enabled but I still get the same error.

Did you encounter this when you installed Win 10 and do you have any suggestions?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 23rd, 2015 13:00

That model is not supported by Dell for win 10 since there are no win 10 drivers available. It would be best to stick with the OS you have now and get windows 10 on your next computer. That model is 6 years old so you are due for a new laptop.

21 Posts

November 23rd, 2015 15:00

Just a few questions for you so I can give you the best advice. 1/. What is the model number of your CPU? Are you doing a Win 10 upgrade from Win 7 (Service pack 1 installed) or Windows 8 or 8.1?

The two Dell Latitude e6400 I upgraded where running a clean install of Win 7 Pro (64bit) with all Dell drivers installed. Win 10 keeps drivers it needs from the previous OS instillation. I had to install Touch Pad Drivers & Blue Tooth Drivers as per my previous post.

If you have the Nvidia Video Graphics option then you can get the driver from Nvidia.

On the Latitude e5400 Win 10 didn't recognize the Intel Graphics however from Device Manager I simply choose update drivers and it found the drivers on the net so no problems.

Most Win 10 upgrade problems come from a corruption of the present OS instillation and that is why I backup my personal data and do a clean install of the OS, Drivers & programs; then the Win 10 upgrade and have had no failures yet.

3 Posts

November 23rd, 2015 19:00

I am working with two E6400's

I was originally working on my own laptop which has a P8400 Processor 2.26 Ghz.

I have begun working on a 2nd laptop in order to figure things out without disturbing my files. It has a P8600 Processor 2.4 Ghz.

I have now succeeded in installing Win 10 on this second laptop using a flashdrive. All drivers are working except two- Base System Device and Broadcom USH w/swipe sensor. It has NVidia Gaphics and that is working.

When I did the installation, I first wiped the hard drive and as a result, it is not activated. I am assuming that if I reinstalled Win 7 and installed Win 10 with the flashdrive, then I would not have to activate.

I don't believe the problems I was having before had anything to do with the operating system. The information I was getting was that the problem was that NX was not enabled in the BIOS. Since it uses an Intel processor, it has XD instead of NX in the BIOS and I had XD enabled.

Let me know if you think I am on the right track

21 Posts

November 24th, 2015 04:00

Hi,

To get Win 10 free it must be an upgrade to a computer having an activated copy of Win 7 Service Pack 1 /Win 8 or Win 8.1. You need to run the install from the net, not a download to any other device. ie If you download Win 10 for another computer you need a COA key to activate it. There is a good article on the web that covers this and allows you to force the upgrade rather than wait for it. (http://www. ) forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2015/07/30/windows-10-updating-reinstalling-and-activation-guide-essential-advice-to-avoid-problems/

Further while certain Dell models are not Win 10 supported other models are and their Win 10 drivers can work on older models so a Dell e6430 Win 10 driver may do the job. If not it will stop the driver install at some point so no  harm done. Also Broadcom do some of their own drivers independent of Dell. It was trial & error that led me to the Lenovo Blue Tooth Driver that worked on both my e6400's.

I set both mine up one night after forcing the download and in the morning it took about 20 minutes to complete the install.

Hope this helps.

3 Posts

November 25th, 2015 18:00

Thanks for your suggestions. 

Let me tell you what I have accomplished and I will appreciate any suggestions you might have.

I have now been successful installing windows 10 on one of the E6400's- the one with the 2.4 ghz processor (the other one is 2.26).

Initially both pc's gave the message that their processor was incompatible with win 10 and that the problem was with NX not being enabled. Neither pc has NX available but they both have XD which is the Intel equivalent.

I re-installed win 7 on the pc with 2.4 ghz. I then attempted installing win 10 with the flashdrive. As you might expect I only got as far as the request for the product key. I closed the installation and restarted the pc. I then tried using the win 10 app in the system tray. Previously I had received the message that the processor was not compatible, but this time it went into windows update and started downloading Win 10. It took a very long time but I did get it installed and there was no request for a product key.

However the other pc is continuing to behave the way it did before. I really don't understand why one pc has apparently recovered from being incompatible but the other has not. The only difference that I can see between the two is that I have not wiped the drive on the second pc and that it has a slightly slower processor.

Do you have any ideas as to why one is working and the other not?

21 Posts

November 26th, 2015 00:00

Not really as the ones I have upgraded were 2.4ghz & 2.0Ghz. Did you go to the link from Forbes? It is really good and offers you the Microsoft link to force the Win 10 upgrade and also a link to an app that reveals your Win 10 Product Key in case you need to do a reinstall some time latter after the free upgrade. I have also upgraded 4 x  latitude e5400 laptops by using the Forbes links with no troubles at all so I'm not sure why you've had so much trouble.

Everybody I know who has had trouble usually tried to upgrade from an OS that has been installed for years and appears OK but has malware & registry problems and this seems to create big issues with the upgrade. I have formatted the hard drives & reinstalled Win 7 Pro (Service Pack 1 included) plus any other programs I use and then did the upgrade. Once or twice I had to get video drivers or webcam drivers but that was about all.

Sorry I can be of any more help than the above.

1 Message

January 22nd, 2016 01:00

I'm interested in this question as well. In the meantime, I learned that I could get Windows 7 Professional to stop the continual suggestion to upgrade, by uninstalling Windows update for KB3035583, and turning off automatic updates. uninstalling did not take the first time for some reason, but the second time it worked. Also, Microsoft was setting the update to automatically download the installation files, even though the owner had not yet signed up for an upgrade reservation. If you're trying to deal with the nonsense from Microsoft, I suggest Googling the expression "prevent Windows 10 upgrade" and reading up on it. BTW, if you've done the upgrade, it will become permanent after 30 days.

No Events found!