Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 5th, 2017 21:00

Tap to click stops working on new XPS 15

I am having the exact same issue as in this thread, new Dell XPS 15 running Windows 10: en.community.dell.com/.../20003859 I tried to post this in there as a reply but got an error that "A forum reply exists that is a duplicate of this reply.". So, posting it as its own thread.

I only got this laptop a couple weeks ago, and occasionally the tap to click just quits working correctly. The first tap registers but then it's like the mouse is "stuck"; it highlights text, drags windows around as you move your finger over the trackpad, etc. Only clicking at the bottom left unsticks it or makes it possible to click anything properly. Unlike the person in the other thread, though, this does not happen only after the machine's been on for 24+ hours; this time it happened and I've been using the laptop, not with a ton of memory-intensive processes or anything, for maybe 6 hours. Any help? Having to reboot every time this happens, which is all that seems to work, (and this is either the second or third time it's happened now) is annoying and inconvenient.

July 20th, 2017 15:00

I have found a fix -  Update to Windows 10 creators update. This solved my problem.

1 Message

July 23rd, 2017 23:00

Also seeing this issue on 2-month old XPS 15. Unacceptable ! please find a fix.

11 Posts

September 2nd, 2017 17:00

I have the same exact problem as above on my XPS 13 skylake model 9350 or whatever it is. been happening for months and it's annoying af. i normally use a mouse but every time i use touchpad this happens and only a restart fixes it temporarily.

btw i clean installed Windows 10 using my own copy, not Dell's image

11 Posts

September 2nd, 2017 17:00

before anyone says something else, my laptop is fully updated via windows updates as well as dell's supportassist updates.

1 Message

January 3rd, 2018 01:00

I have the exact same issue on my Inspiron

1 Message

February 6th, 2018 04:00

Same problem on new Precision 5520. Only thing that seems to work is restarting computer which is extremely annoying. Anyone from Dell actually paying attention/addressing this?!

1 Message

April 9th, 2018 15:00

Same problem here on the Precision 15.  It is simply astounding the time since this issue first surfaced and nothing has been done about it.  

Too many users experiencing this for it to be an anomaly. 

And it is completely disruptive when the tap to click stops working randomly and I need to shut down/restart to fix it.  

Where is the resolution?

1 Message

October 15th, 2018 19:00

Go to your Control Panel > Search Mouse Settings (if the option doesn't pop up on the main screen) > Under the Buttons tab, look to see if ClickLock is turned on. If it is turned on, tapping or pressing to click will result in being able to drag without holding and could be causing this issue.

No Events found!