Windows 10

Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Tap to click stops working on new XPS 15

I am having the exact same issue as in this thread, new Dell XPS 15 running Windows 10: en.community.dell.com/.../20003859 I tried to post this in there as a reply but got an error that "A forum reply exists that is a duplicate of this reply.". So, posting it as its own thread.

I only got this laptop a couple weeks ago, and occasionally the tap to click just quits working correctly. The first tap registers but then it's like the mouse is "stuck"; it highlights text, drags windows around as you move your finger over the trackpad, etc. Only clicking at the bottom left unsticks it or makes it possible to click anything properly. Unlike the person in the other thread, though, this does not happen only after the machine's been on for 24+ hours; this time it happened and I've been using the laptop, not with a ton of memory-intensive processes or anything, for maybe 6 hours. Any help? Having to reboot every time this happens, which is all that seems to work, (and this is either the second or third time it's happened now) is annoying and inconvenient.

Replies (23)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

how is it this possible a completely stupid bug like this even exists in the first place - sloppy programmers and no quality control

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I'm having this problem too XPS 15 9560

It also happened on my surfacebook, it was the reason I returned it, nobody would help me.

My computer functioning predictably is critical to my productivity, and this ruins it.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I'll add a couple other notes.

Toggling tap to click does not fix this

This occurs even when "double tap to drag" is disabled

This problem goes away temporarily when you change your cursor theme from System to None

My system uptime is only 8 hours.

This only happens when the trackpad is tapped, not clicked.

This also effects Windows 10 LTSB

Uninstalling and reinstalling the input device does not fix it (without reboot)

Rebooting fixes it temporarily

putting the device to sleep does not fix it temporarily

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Got bitten by this issue today -- have the had the laptop for over a year now.  Systemic?

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I also have this issue. Tapping the touchpad to click suddenly turns into 'click and drag'. It usually happens after a few days of use, and is always fixed by restarting, but it is very annoying to have to close all of the programs and documents every few days to solve this.

Please look into this as clearly this is affecting many people.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I have found a fix -  Update to Windows 10 creators update. This solved my problem.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Fix  found - update your windows 10 to windows 10 creators update.  Haven't had the issue since then.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Also seeing this issue on 2-month old XPS 15. Unacceptable ! please find a fix.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I have the same exact problem as above on my XPS 13 skylake model 9350 or whatever it is. been happening for months and it's annoying af. i normally use a mouse but every time i use touchpad this happens and only a restart fixes it temporarily.

btw i clean installed Windows 10 using my own copy, not Dell's image

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

before anyone says something else, my laptop is fully updated via windows updates as well as dell's supportassist updates.

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions